Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Carly's guide to moving

  1. Start early with the things you don't need to use. (For me, this included most of my wardrobe, books, and half my kitchen appliances)
  2. Borrow/aquire boxes and packing materials from recent movers (or box horders, in our case). If necessary, buy good boxes. There is nothing worse than moving with bad boxes.
  3. Don't be afraid to use trash bags. Really, they work well.
  4. Set limits/goals (i.e. I will pack for two hours today. Or: I will finish this room today. Or: I will only eat six otter pops while packing this morning)
  5. Label your boxes well. This time we decided to use coded labels to indicate which boxes go in which room. Awesome. Then we put the labels on the walls/doors of the said rooms to help our little team of movers quickly put those boxes right where we want them.
  6. Make it a team effort. Make your husband help (being pregnant helps motivate this one along). Don't shy away from help offered on the actual move day.
  7. On the actual move day, everything must be in a box. This one is essential. If you don't do this, you don't deserve to ask for help loading the truck since no one should have to help you longer than 2 hours on the move day.
  8. Once that miracle of miracles happens (the boxes are suddenly relocated in the new abode), enjoy putting all your things in brand new places and in brand new ways. So much fun!
  9. Smile when you walk in the door and see less boxes today than you saw yesterday (whew!).

PS. I LOVE our new apartment. Someday I'll take and post tons of pictures. Oh wait, let's be honest, it will never be tons... but perhaps I'll manage to take a few and showcase our beautiful new lugar.

6 comments:

Tasha said...

YEA!! Thanks for all the tips. I need them. Sigh. I can do this right? We are now being told we could close either Friday or Tuesday (Tuesday because Monday is a holiday). Keep your fingers crossed for Friday. That would be seriously SOOO nice. I really love your color coding idea and the goal idea. I am now going to set a goal per day. Maybe even one goal for the morning, one for the afternoon and one for the evening. I think my favorite goal of yours had to do with otter pops. Some of my goals might me right along those lines!! I love you to pieces. Good luck finishing up unpacking. It is always fun to find new places for things. I really CANNOT wait to see pictures of it. (Or see it in person in July . . . is that when you are still blessing him?) I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the kneck :)

Jaime said...

lugar, thanks for the new word. Have so much fun setting up your new place; everything so fresh!

Shannon said...

Those are great moving rules. We are kind of OCD when we move, so your labeling sounds intriguing. Glad you are loving the new place. I can't wait to see pics. Enjoy settling in!

Emma said...

Glad the move went smoothly. Horray for an unpacked, organized home! I look forward to pictures.

Kendra Goodrich said...

I can't believe you moved while pregnant. You are amazing!

Jessica said...

Thanks for this little moving guide. It will come in handy when I have to move (which is a lot sooner than I would like it to be). And I've even got otter pops to eat while I pack! :)