Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rock a bye baby

For all of Raymond's short life, I have rocked him to sleep. Up until a month ago, this was connected with nursing him to sleep. But always in the rocker, always in a semi-dark room, and often humming.

Now that I don't nurse him before laying him down, I still swaddle him (I know, I know, he's a year already. But he likes it.) under the arms, nestle his head into the crook of my arm, sing, and rock.

On busy days I sing only one or two songs before putting him in his crib. On slow quiet days I sing four or five. Long and slow and low.

He's always been a wiggler, kicking and sitting up and readjusting himself into a more comfortable position (hence the need for swaddling), but I know he likes it as much as I do. He's funny about it too. He won't let me look at him (or he'll push my face away obstinately if I try), and he won't let me stop singing while rocking (or he'll cry or wiggle loose until I start up again).

I love this stage of rocking my baby before putting him to bed. I forget how fast it will pass. In a few months or years he will be too long, too big, too independent. I think he will always like to be tucked in tight, but I wonder for how long he will let me hold him in my arms and sing Stay Awake or My Heavenly Father Loves Me over and over and over?

Three times a day we under go this sacred little ritual--morning, afternoon, and evening.  Three calm, quiet times each day. And I am grateful that he is still a baby who lets me sing him to sleep.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I have never rocked my babies to sleep and I don't really regret that, but we always snuggle in a rocker and read a book before bed. Weston used to pick the same book every nap time, every night. Now Davin is in that stage and Weston and I snuggle in the rocker and read Roald Dahl. It's a good moment in my day. Every time. I will be sad when soon Weston will just be too big to snuggle on my lap (since I won't really have one!). They grow up too fast.

Kyla Armstrong said...

I adored rocking my first baby to sleep. It was awesome. He loved it. I loved it. I pretty much rocked him to sleep until he was almost 3 years old and moved from the nursery into his bunk beds right before his sister was born. I sang I Am a Child of God, I'd Like to Visit the Moon, and Pearly Shells (in English & Hawaiian). It was hard to let it go. My second baby would have nothing to do with rocking to sleep and I didn't really have as much time for it with a preschooler and the little girl I watched during the day. So it worked out, but I miss it. My little boy still has to have someone lay by him and sing him a song before he goes to bed. I think it's sweet. My youngest - she says goodnight and does her own thing. But I agree . . . Rocking to sleep rocks :)

Tasha said...

I love that he still loves you singing him to sleep. There is just something sacred and special about the small quiet moments with kids. Keep enjoying every moment. :) It will not last forever, and eventually with another child here it will be hard to keep Raymond out in order to rock the other to sleep. I have so many memories with Tanner I hold so close because they were just him and I. I wish I could hold and rock and play with that cute Raymond of yours!! 3 more weeks. 3 more weeks! And yes I am already on the count down. Too bad when everyone comes it means Tanner's summer is over though :( Boo to that. I love having him home for summer.