The other day I had a deep pang of missing Grandpa Snowball. He died last February and it has subsequently been a year of "firsts" without him. Although I don't live in California near my Grandma, I think of her often as she continues the mighty struggle to live alone. Because I grew up living just 10-15 minutes from my grandparents, we were at their house a lot. We celebrated almost every holiday with them. My pool of memories about Grandpa is deep. He was such a good man. Quiet and good natured. Yet stubborn. Persistant. A perfectionist. He would work on a project until it was just how he wanted it. He never (never) did shoddy work.
I remember my mom bringing a belt over to him once that needed another hole. He got out his tools and found the perfect size pin to make a hole the exact size of the others. He was painsaking and deliberate.
He was always that way with his garden. It was a work of art. Their yard is safe haven. I remember when we were little and they would open the hidden pit in their back yard. We would parade the food outside to be set up on card tables. The little ice bucket and stacks of matching melomine plates. The benches with backs that flipped into tables and the special white iron table for two in the gazebo.
I remember trips to Park City in college and staying in the Marriott Hotel. They would pick us up as they drove through Provo and let us spend the weekend. They would take us shopping at the grocery story with them and fill up their cart with all kinds of goodies. I remember on one of those trips watching Grandpa open the breadbag and push down the edges. Then, with the precision with which he does everything, use his pocketknife to cut off and away the inner plastic bag and slide the outer bag up and around the neatly sliced stack of bread.
I remember him sitting me on his knee or putting an arm around me to sing me the saucy little redhead song. I remember sitting by his knee the Sunday before his surgury to remove the tongue cancer as we recorded him singing all his favorite tunes from the 40s. Songs he had sung again and again and for any and every occasion. (A, you're adorble, B, you're so beautiful, C you're a cutie full of charmes...)
He was the candy man. The jars and dishes were always full... and so were his pockets and church I hear.
His wavy grey hair was always neatly combed back, his shirt carefully tucked in, and often matching his shoes. His work clothes always hung from the hooks opposite the mirror in the "kid's bathroom." He was a hard worker. He loved to showoff his garden. He loved to see us smile.
As Grandma would talk and tell stories when we came to visit, he would sit in the green swivle chair opposite her and add a note here or there. He wasn't usually noticibly in the middle of things. But he was.
His wood art--the birds and musical notes he carved--were beautiful and reticent of the things he treasured. Long Beach--home. The music he always sang and the music his wife and daughters filled the home with. Diligence. Attention to detail. Long hard work.
His scriptures and a small trash can sat hidden behind his green chair. The trash can so he could throw away hsi candy wrappers without having to get up. He lived a good life. He loved us unequivically. He loved the gospel. I don't know that ever recall doubting that he had a testimony, even though I also don't ever remember hearing him bear it with words. It was an implicit part of him.
I miss him. I ache to think of Grandma living without him. But I know he isn't really gone. I'll see him again someday. And in the meantime I hope to carry on his legacy, to teach my children about this good and great man who helped shape my childhood and my view of the world. To teach them of the righteousness, the valiency and love and gift for living that he left.
10 comments:
What a wonderful legacy that you have captured with words so beautifully. I would also love to have my yard be a "safe haven" for little ones--what beautiful memories.
What fun memories you have! It's such a blessing to have good memories like that, that we can hold on to until we see them again!
You're Awesome!! Hang in there! Keep Smilin'! Life's Gr8!
That was very sweet Carly. I think of his often too. Since he passed 3 days before my wedding i didn't really have time to focus on it so a few months after is when it really hit me. I was glad to be near to him through his last few days. Anyways, I love all the things he did for us, he was a wonderful grandpa. Thanks again for the perfectly kind words about him, i love you.
um, are you trying to make me cry here? this post was too sweet
I miss him so much too. I am now crying and missing him more. It has been a hard year for me to witness time and time again him not be at one event or another. I am grateful Mom and her sisters are so good at visiting and doing things with Grandma still. I need to be better. Grandpa has left us all an ingredible legacy. He lived so much by example to all of us. Just as you love his name I hope that one of my boys carry it someday too. To remind them, and me, and our whole family of someone they should all hope and want to be like. It is really just sad to me that they will not know him as I knew him. (Although, I think Tanner will have slight memories) I love you Carly Jane. Thank you for writing and sharing this with all of us.
Wow. That is exactly what I would have wanted to say about Grandpa and yet would have been incapable of putting into words. I loved every moment of reading it. I am crying in a good way. I miss him too and I am sad that my kids will never know him. Thanks for that sweet tribute. I may have to steal it for my archives. Hope you don't mind! Take care of yourself and the little one. Love you!
Hugs. Sounds like you had an absolutly wonderful grandpa. Grandparents are one of the best things in the world.
Grandparents make a mark on the life of their grandchildren. I look back at my grandparents and can't imagine my growing up life without them. I guess that is part of the reason that I found my father's death at such an early age so devistating. I was heart sick for years that none of my children knew my father and that he was not getting the chance to be part of their lives. In fact it was the day that Jeremy was confirmed, no family had been able to come and I was feeling so sorry for myself that there was no family, no grandmas or grandpas to share in the day. I was sitting on the bench in the chapel as Mark began to confirm Jeremy and I began to cry. It just too sad for me to have no family there, it was just not fair that my dad had died and couldn't be here. I suddenly had the most promnouced voice tell me, "What makes you think he isn't here?" I then felt the presence of my father so strongly that I was afraid if I opened my eyes, I would see my dad sitting next to me. I came to another level of understanding that day, and although the physical presence is missed and loved, I now know there will be a day when I can sit with my dad and talk about all the fun days of his chidlren's earth life - laugh and rembers togther. Glad you had such a great grandfather. Love debbie
Carly, I feel very moved after reading your blog. A wonderful tribute to him.It has been years since my grandparents have died. Thanks for the warm fuzzy feeling and to remind me of my wonderful grandparents and the influence they had in my life.
That was wonderful. You have such a gift with words. Maybe you could make a memory book. Here's the link to someone I know who could help you. http://heritagemakers.com/index.cfm?event=home
Post a Comment