Friday, August 10, 2007

Star light, star bright

This past week has been a whirlwind of events that have led up to a life that still doesn't quite seem real. I feel like I have always lived here--and yet everything is so new. Saturday my parents and I drove down and in an amazingly short amount of time were able to unload the little Uhaul and set up house. I am living in a two bedroom apartment that is part of a four-plex. All of the units have been completely remodeled and are beautifully done. It is just the right size for me, my bookshelves, and a rocking chair (and a few other things--but those is the most important). All week I have been in the thick of getting things ready for school to start (next Thursday) and setting up life in Blanding. I have already met most of my neighbors, and after attending our ward party last night, I am making friends with all of the widows in the ward :). So far everything seems to be running smoothly, and I have been busy enough not to be too bored or terribly lonely (thank goodness for cell phones and books!). I apologize for not posting any photos, but I am still working on getting wireless internet... only occasionally am able to find something that lets me log on at all. Once I have my own internet, I will upload photos of my apartment and the town. In the meantime, here is a peek at my favorite experience so far in Blanding...
A few nights ago I rocked in my chair until the dusk took over my living room and the only light came in through the open balcony doors. Quietly, I snuck down stairs and into my car, unsure of where to go. I went down 100 E--a road that eventually becomes a dirt road and leads towards the blue mountains. As soon as the lights from town disappeared over the hill, I found a place to pull over. I got out and sat down in the dirt next to a tractor--and marveled. It was breathtaking. The stars twinkled and shimmered and sparkled. Some stood out brilliantly bright and diamond-like. In the depths of a cloudless nights sky, others hung back, quieter, farther, dimmer. But they all glistened. As I sat with my head tilted back the crickets, in one endless, breathless rhythm pulsed their music through the air and dogs barked in the distance.

No comments: