Hip Hip Horray for a holiday! Today was such a fun Halloween. I admit, I have had more exciting costumes or parties... but I don't think they could beat ghost stories all day long. I decided that I officially like celebrating holidays as a teacher and think it is a shame that more do not. I dug deep into my literary bags and books and pulled out every howling, ghoulish, horror story I could come up with. At the front of my room I made a little display of classic haunts (everything from the creepy wife upstairs in Jane Eyre and the blood-thirsty ghosts of Hamlet to R. L. Stine and the not-so-scary Twilight. We discussed a little of the history of spook and then turned off the lights to be spooked ourselves! I brought in my small desk lamp and let them all gather round (sit on the floor and pull their chairs forward). Then I read four classic campfire stories (the Hook Man, Bloody Mary, The Headless Horseman, and The Golden Arm). In every class I had kids who knew the stories, had said Bloody Mary's name in the bathroom mirror, or had a different version of the same stories to tell. I put on my best "haunted" voice and went to town! Afterward we discussed the elements of campfire stories (ridiculously stupid characters, dark and stormy nights, unusual weapons--anything from knitting needles to hooks--and suspense). Then I let them brainstorm as groups and create their own stories. They were so creative! While I do think Halloween is a holiday for little kids, you've got to admit, we all are a little intrigued by the mystery and haunt of Halloween. Next time you don't know what to do late on Halloween night, pull out your best story-telling voice and turn the lights down low...
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Happy Halloween!
Hip Hip Horray for a holiday! Today was such a fun Halloween. I admit, I have had more exciting costumes or parties... but I don't think they could beat ghost stories all day long. I decided that I officially like celebrating holidays as a teacher and think it is a shame that more do not. I dug deep into my literary bags and books and pulled out every howling, ghoulish, horror story I could come up with. At the front of my room I made a little display of classic haunts (everything from the creepy wife upstairs in Jane Eyre and the blood-thirsty ghosts of Hamlet to R. L. Stine and the not-so-scary Twilight. We discussed a little of the history of spook and then turned off the lights to be spooked ourselves! I brought in my small desk lamp and let them all gather round (sit on the floor and pull their chairs forward). Then I read four classic campfire stories (the Hook Man, Bloody Mary, The Headless Horseman, and The Golden Arm). In every class I had kids who knew the stories, had said Bloody Mary's name in the bathroom mirror, or had a different version of the same stories to tell. I put on my best "haunted" voice and went to town! Afterward we discussed the elements of campfire stories (ridiculously stupid characters, dark and stormy nights, unusual weapons--anything from knitting needles to hooks--and suspense). Then I let them brainstorm as groups and create their own stories. They were so creative! While I do think Halloween is a holiday for little kids, you've got to admit, we all are a little intrigued by the mystery and haunt of Halloween. Next time you don't know what to do late on Halloween night, pull out your best story-telling voice and turn the lights down low...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I want to be in your class....that sounds like so much fun!
What fun your kids must have had. I can just picture you in your "scarrry" halloween voice and your kids sitting forward in sweet anticipation of what was to come next.... you are great carly jane
what a fun teacher! i dont recall doing much in the way of festivities for holidays, but go you for getting creative and making it fun and literary. :)
You are the best teacher around!!!!!!!!!! how fun! love it!
I wish I could be in your class! You sound like the best teacher ever!
Post a Comment