Saturday, August 16, 2008

Life in the big city

Cedar City that is.

Two weeks ago we loaded up all our Blanding belongings into a big U-haul and made the trek to the "other side" of the state. We hardly were here a day or two before we headed down to California for some family time and a fantastic shower put on by my ward. Then, last week, we got back to Cedar and got serious about getting things out of boxes and setting up our soon to be new lives in the new apartment. (For now it's just my apartment while Jeremy bums off his sister, Jeanine--shout out to the incredible generocity of Nick and Jeanine--and I live here until we get married September sixth.) 18 days, folks.

Thursday last week my mom and Paige drove into town to help bring shower gifts and a desk from home, to see the new apartment, go to Sound of Music at the Tuacahn theater (it was fantastic), and to make new couch covers for our built in couches. For all you wondering just what a built in couch could be... let me tell you they are pretty great when covered by material bought for just $3.00 a yard and sewed by Mom.
The old...

and VIOLA! the new... Last week was also the start of my new Adult Ed job. I don't quite know what to say about it yet as I am still definitely learning the ropes. I did teach my first ESL class today... and it worked! I get to speak lots and lots of Spanish, which is definitely my favorite part. I also work with some very funny people, so it looks like if all else fails, we will have fun! Hopefully, however, lots of people get their GEDs and high school diplomas (you can do that in Utah without going to high school) and learn lots of English :).

ps. We are still working on getting internet. In the meantime my posts might be a little fewer and farther between... but I promise I have not forgotten you!

7 comments:

Emma said...

The cushion covers are marvelous! Too bad you can't get rid of the carpet on the side table and "legs" of the couch. Plain wood would look much better. I am glad you are in your new home sweet home. Good luck with work!

Emma said...

PS Your shower pics are so pretty. Score for the cuisinart!

Amy said...

Great job covering the couches. Good luck with the new job. Hope the wedding plans are going well. 18 days, wow how time flies.

Tasha said...

Okay, the couch covers are AWESOME!!! GO MOM!! Seriously, that makes a HUGE difference to that room I am sure. Seriously, love that. Now to learn how to cover my couches?? No, too big of a project. But, love what mom did to yours. Secondly, YEAH for a new post!!! I can't wait for you to get regular internet. So annoying!! But, I understand that is part of life. Good luck on the adventures at the new job. Can't wait to hear more in future posts :)

Shannon said...

Wow. Those couches look WORLDS better with the new covers. How exciting that you guys are starting to get your apartment all set up. I can't believe the wedding is in 18 days! So exciting. You're just going to love married life and I'm positive you will be the best wife ever. Congrats on your first ESL class going well. I wish I had a good reason to keep up my Spanish. Sigh. Hope the job continues to go well!

Cansas said...

I'm glad you're getting settled in. Won't it be great when all the chaos is over and you and Jerm can sit back an relax. Our first few years of marriage are a blur, in fact I don't think we saw more than 1-2 hours a day of each other with school and work taking up all our time. Kind of strange how that works. You finally get married and then you see less of each other. Hopefully that won't be the case for you guys! :)

Anonymous said...

i personally love the carpet.