Sunday, August 10, 2008

Long overdue

When I was little girl I loved having two older sisters. Even though we are only three years apart, I always thought Sara was so old. She was always the first to do everything. The first to go to middle school, the first to go to high school, the first to drive, to go to prom, to have a curfew. I used think I couldn't wait until I was as old as Sara was. Looking back I think it was hard for her to always be the first--to tread on the unchartered water over and over again--but also very fun. She was the leader of the pack. Everything she did, I wanted to do too.

Growing up Sara was always the neat one. Being the oldest, she eventually got her own room. She always knew if we had been in her room because a pen would be moved or a paper out of place. She was so clean, we couldn't get away with anything. I have always loved that about her. She was always older and wiser and I wanted to understand her so I would sneak in her room and look at all her pretty things in their perfect places. I must have been an obnoxious little sister--sorry, Sara!

I remember when Sara and I first started becoming friends after the all the somewhat inevitable older sister/younger sister squabbles of the teenage years. She had borrowed a shirt and left me a note on my bed to tell me. She hadn't borrowed much of my clothes up to that point and so it was new twist in our relationship. She explained that she would get it back to me when she was through and that she was glad of our newly developing friendship. I still have the note. It was the beginning of something great.

It's funny for me to look back and remember that we went through those years when we weren't the kind of friends we are now. I consider Sara one of my best friends. She is the kind of person who would (and does) do anything for me. She is open and trusting, thoughtful and considerate. Ever since I went away to college, she has been good at sending me notes and postcards and homemade cards in the mail to remind me I'm not alone even when I'm far from home. She has a way of picking out the perfect gift for a birthday or Christmas present. She calls and leaves the best messages on my phone. Usually her messages are so long that it's like she's chatting with me. I always find myself talking back to her before I remember it's just a message, and I can't wait to call her back and actually talk to her.

It's no wonder that Sara has always been good with children. When she was in college she started nannying or babysitting for a family. She had a way of standing her ground while still making those kids love her to pieces. It wasn't surprising to me that in college she majored in Child Development, nor that on graduation the hospital she was interning at turned her internship into a job in order to keep her. She is fun and funny--willing to dress up and laugh and do goofy things. But at the same time she is calm and soothing. She is the only one who can get Brayden to sleep after a busy and chaotic family gathering. She is favorite Aunt Sara because she plays and laughs and gets down on her hands and knees to see what Tanner's trucks or are up to. She will be a phenomenal mother.

Not only with kids is Sara fun, but with everyone. She just has a spark of adventure in her. She likes to play games, go on adventures, try new things. She has always been the one to have lots of friends from lots of places with whom she does lots of fun things.

And it works that way--always out with someone on some sort of adventure--because she is a good friend. She is thoughtful. She remembers important things going on in their lives and she asks about them or sends a gift or a card or an email. She is aware of what is going on in their lives and she remembers in their next conversation or in a card. She is so giving--of her things, of her time, of her love.

She and Stanford now live in Las Vegas where they have become the Torgerson Hotel. They are always keeping someone for the night who is on their way to California or heading out to Utah. Staying at their house is not only convenient, but fun! They always are ready to play games or watch a movie. Both she and Stanford are fantastic cooks and their is always something bubbling or brewing on the stove or in the oven to tide us over. They are generous with their couches and pantry and love. I am excited that we now live just 2.5 hours apart and the adventures are about to begin!

I have always felt that anyone who is friends with Sara is a lucky person. I am so grateful that she is mine--that we are sealed to each other forever.

And this week was her Birthday. I am long overdue in remembering it here, but I love you Sara!

8 comments:

Mary Powell said...

That blog entry brought a tear to my eye. I've never met sara but I think I like her already! Love you Carly! Mary Hannah

Jillyboo said...

What a sweet tribute to an incredible Woman. I have been so blessed by the time in my life when Sara and I were so close. And I think you are both very lucky to have eachother.
What a great home to grow up in and what a gift your Parents gave to you in having all those siblings.

summer c said...

what an awesome tribute to sisters....and friends. Sounds like an awesome person! HOpe you are doing well and plans are going good for the wedding!

Tasha said...

Once again Carly. . . beautiful. You have such a gift of putting into words what so many of us feel. I love you Sara. Happy Birthday!! We really are lucky to have you as a sister :)

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

i feel sad sara (and the rest of you for that matter) arent my sisters! that was a great post! you are so thoughtful carly!

sara said...

Thanks Carly Jane - that was fun to read. You really are great with words. I didn't know you used to sneak into my room just to look at my things. I didn't realize I was that neat or orderly either :). You are the best. It was fun to see your place today and meet Jeremy (!) and eat dinner with you guys. Sorry I wasn't feeling so good but I LOVED visiting with you. xoxo-saralynn

Shannon said...

Very sweet and I love that picture of the beautiful Torgerson sisters!

Carly said...

Dang Sara, I definitely used to sneak into your room... I thought you knew that. And you were definitely the neat one. I have always admired that about you and tried to emulate it. I loved getting to see you on Wednesday! I LOVE YOU!