Alright, friends, I just really need to know.
What are your thoughts on the serial comma?
You know, the one that goes right before the conjunction in a series (i.e. The weather was cold, windy, and overcast.).
It is, of course, debatable by "experts" and "scholars" and "them" (the men in the long dark coats with top hats and beards). No one officially knows whether it really belongs there or not. But we do. All of us, deep in our heart of hearts, know whether or not to put it in.
So tell me.
Do you use it?
19 comments:
You know we already had this discussion. I just can't do it!
I was informed a few months ago by my wonderful husband that when I type dictations that I am leaving out a serial comma. He told me the rule was changed, which was complete news to me! I suddenly felt self concious about all my typing errors. I will be glad to share the news with Jason that the comma is debatable afterall:) I prefer no comma, although I am not claiming to be a comma expert by any means! The English language is so complicated!
I definitely prefer the comma--any time I see a series without the serial comma, I cringe. Just my two cents! :-) And I should just post this on the next post, but I loved all your cruise pics! I'm so glad I can keep up with you now.
Nope, don't use it. It feels weird to use it so I always take it out if I've accidentally put it in!
I'm the worst. . .I do BOTH! I can't make up my mind.
I'm pretty sure I do use it. It just seems right:)
you have to use it. it looks wrong without it. if you say it was cold, windy and overcast, then it sounds like windy and overcast are part of each other, when they're not.
:)
I love the serial comma and use it often;)
I always thought the and negated the serial comma, but I know some people feel very strongly about it, so I don't push the issue.
I never knew that comma had a certain name, lol. But I do use it. I feel like it has to be there.
Yes, I support the oxford (or serial) comma. I'm supported by none other than the greatest band ever, Vampire Weekend. Listen to their song "Oxford Comma" and you will never forget to slip in the "," before the "and" again.
Strong supporter of the serial comma. I agree with the comment that the sentence doesn't read in a balanced way without it. And for what its worth, I spend all day every day writing and having different partners edit my work, and I've never had the serial comma deleted. What I do get grief for is not using the old double space before a new sentence...
I use the coma, but take that for what it is :) You already know my skills when it comes to English grammer.
I use it... but also had a B average in English so... who knows?!
I do use it. This stems from a lesson by a 3rd grade teacher. I still remember learning to put that comma in and it is now habit.
All I can say about the serial comma is this, about the year 1000000 BC when I learned commas, you were taught to do them. Its tough to teach old dogs new tricks and being the OLD DOG that I am - I use them - always! Debbie
I am a big fan of the serial comma, but like "big mamma" it is how I was taught to do it a million years ago. I do know it seems to be optional today (at least according to the 6th grade Holt Grammar book I teach from) but it is immportant to me to use it.
I didn't know it existed. I just floated through grammer in school. I really never know when to use a comma. Oh well. Maybe you can teach me!
Have to use it! It drives me nuts when others don't. I had a discussion with a college prof about it, and he said there's a great book called "Eats, shoots, and leaves" all about the importance of punctuation. And he gave me a legal example of a will saying to split the money equally between A, B and C. Technically, A gets half the money, and B and C split the other half!
Post a Comment