Thursday, November 6, 2008

Yes on Prop 8

I haven't written anything on my blog about Prop 8, but that's not to say I haven't been following it closely. I remember Prop 22 in 2000--my senior year--with vivid clarity. Mostly my busy senior schedule only allowed me to make phone calls, while members of my ward and community walked streets, knocked doors, posted signs. We donated money and time and prayer. This time I am not in California, and thus not able to donate much more than my means. And a lot of prayer and encouragement and support as my family and home stake rallied around the Prophet's call to donate time and means and resources to defending the doctrinal truth that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God. While it is tempting to simply appease homosexuals in their desires for gay marriage, I cannot shirk the truth embedded deep in my heart that it is terribly wrong, for any of us, in any manner, to justify sin. And I know that marriage between a man and a woman is an integral, even essential, part of God's Plan of Salvation for his children. I know that any other way is not only contrary to His plan, but in fact sin. And while this issue, with Prop 8 in California, goes deeper and affects so many other things, this is the root of why I support it.

So two nights ago (November 4th), when I got home from work, I was not terribly interested in the exit poll results for the new President. I was a whole lot more worried about how Proposition 8 was doing. I hunted and searched and googled until I finally found a website (www.latimes.com) that showed the fluxuating results as more and more precincts reported. I hit refresh over and over and over again, watching the 56% yes (at 12% reporting) get closer and closer to 50%. All night long I woke up with dreams that the yes vote crossed the line into the minority. When the alarm finally sounded, I raced downstairs to hit refresh again.

By the end of yesterday, with 99.7% of precincts reporting, and 52.5% yes, I finally was at ease.

I can't tell you how grateful I am, first of all, that it passed (and it passed in Arizona and Florida). And secondly, for all of the countless hours and prayers and money and work that went in by so, so many Californians (and others) who fought so diligently for the cause. I know their efforts were consecrated. I know the prayers to touch the hearts of the people were answered. And I know that it made a difference. Thank you.

7 comments:

Tasha said...

Oh, I am so so so thankful that it passed too!! It was seriously so close. But, this is just the beginning. I am slowly but surely realizing this.

Jaime said...

I was so relieved as well. I was on that website doing the exact same thing. The gay activists are angry and I like Tasha, know it will go on and on and on.

Emma said...

I totally agree with you Carly.

Moina said...

Carly! found you through Katy's blog. Congratulations on your wedding! I didn't know until now.

Anonymous said...

Carly,

I heard and interesting talk about understanding the words of Isaiah. I have tried to understand them but alot of the time I ask, "What did all that mean?" The man addressing he subject said we need the temple to understand Isaiah. With that perspective things have come easier. I came across this scripture in my studies.

For Jerusalem is ruined and Judah is fallen: because their tongue and their doings are againsst the Lord, to provoke the eyes of his glory.

The shew of their countenance doth witness against them: and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves.(Isaiah 3:8&9)

With those things we choose to do in our lives we can either draw closer to God and be given spiritual eyes as we follow the prophet or we can chose to follow the things of the world and be cut off from the spirit and bring woe to our souls. I am also grateful that it passed but I am very sad at the protest going on outside the temple.

dntbaker said...

hey missy!
i'm so gladd it passed and here to in arizona.
random question: have you talked to ashby at all lately? i cant get a hold of her and i've been thinking of her a lot. if you have, doyou have an updated phone number or email?
i'm so glad to see you are loving married life! you look great :) i love all your post!

Jenn and Jared said...

Carly,
It was so nice to meet you at the baby shower last weekend. I love your blog and agree with you on this posting. I have several aquaintences who choose that lifestyle. I have tried to make it clear to them that although I love them because they are also daughters and sons of God, I cannot condone a lifestyle choice that is a sin. It is difficult to separate the two feelings at times. I was grateful that Prop 8 passed as well.