Monday, February 16, 2009

Hip Hip Hooray for a RED holiday!

As is Torgerson Tradition, I LOVE Valentine's Day. Let's be honest, first of all, the world wears red and eats good candies and cookies and dinners. What's not to like? Having a husband this year did make it extra fun... but I think it more meant I just had someone to rope into my festivities. I loved having it on Saturday because try as I might, I could not get my cards or crafts or cookies done before the day of. I did, however, manage to get lots of fun things done on the actual day.

First, I made pink heart sugar cookies. I love to make them (but only do a few scattered times a year, because, honestly, they are so much work. And I eat too many of them.)

The next very exciting thing that happened was Mom's Package (capital letters deserved) arrived. Jeremy was NOT expecting the little box of love from my mom. But my, was he excited. The whole pound of Sees magically disappeared within 24 hours. Disclaimer: I only ate 4. Second Disclaimer: Jeremy really didn't like these somewhat posed pictures--but he really was giddy he was so excited--and graciously let me post them anyway). Also note the dang cute (if I do say so myself) heart paper garland I made and hung in the background. My mom also gave me the cutest handmade heart magnant and heart handled scissors, not to mention her cute--as always--valentine. We were both feeling the love.

Lastly, I made some new placemats for the big V-day dinner. I had been wanting to for a long time, and finally did. I think they turned out pretty cute. You may have noticed in this picture (more than the placemat) the bowl of pink something. Yes, I sure did dye the rice HOT pink. Along with our pink rice we had milanesa (a fried Argentine meat--Jeremy's favorite mission food), red jello with strawberries, stuffed tomatoes, and raspberry sherbet with ginger ale to drink. It was a fun festive feast!
I hope your Valentine's Day was as wonderful and red as ours. All my love to you, blown with a kiss--

9 comments:

Tasha said...

okay, where to begin . . . LOVE all of it. First, love the heart cookies and especially the cute apron you are wearing while you decorating them. Secondly, your heart garland turned out fabulous. MUST remember to make one myself next year. I want it across my mantel. Thirdly, Mom DEFINATLY did out do herself once again . . . and lastly . . . love love love your dinner. I didn't pull off the fabulous sherbet drink, but that is going to be worked in next year becaue i love the idea. That hot pink rice seriously just made me laugh. LOV E how pink it turned out. Looks like you had one wonderful Valentine's day! Sending love right back at you with a blown kiss in your direction as well :)

Tasha said...

PS Oh and love love love the placemats!! Go you!

Lacey Lu said...

Carly, You ARE Amazing and very Creative!! Glad you guys had such a wonderfully RED V-Day!!
Keep Smilin'!! Life's Gr8!!

Janssen said...

Wow, you've inspired me to step it up next year!

BWei said...

Wow--I'm impressed! I don't love Valentine's Day like you do, but I'm so glad you have a red holiday :-). The placemats look fabulous. And the hot pink rice is awesome! :-)

Jeanine said...

I love everything you did- super cute! I am glad you had a great RED day! I was planning to make everything red for our meal, but we ended up being with his parents so we had fun too. Sadie loved making her Valentines for Grandma and Grandpas (not really because I wouldn't let her use the markers).

LindseyFae* said...

I'm so glad you shre my love of Valentine's Day!! Whenever I tell people it's my favorite, I almost always get "really?" or "why?" And it's weird, because it only gets better when you have your little family with you there to celebrate it with (I always thought it was for just Jess and me). Fun decorations and dinner! Oh, and the pics of Jeremy? The don't look posed at all!

Shannon said...

Looks like a fun, festive, fabulous first Valentine's Day with your sweetie. I love you feast. I'm so impressed. Also, you need to post instructions on how to make that garland and your Happy Birthday garland from a few posts back. They look doable for the craft-challenged like myself. :)

jackster said...

Carly you are too cute! I love it all - seriously impressive! It gives me some motivation to be cute and festive. I think the placemats are my favorite. Then again, who can beat hot pink rice!