A lot of factors played into this decision. Way back in pregnancy days Jeremy had come across a spreadsheet indicating cost saving benefits of cloth diapers. At the time my only experience with cloth was what I saw in Honduras. It was highly ineffective and quite frankly a mess. I wasn't so interested in joining that club anytime soon. I saw a few modern, American versions on the internet sometime thereafter and was appeased that it didn't have to be the pre-folded, safety-pinned version... but I still didn't give it much thought.
Then Raymond arrived. And in about 2 weeks our supply of gifted disposable diapers was quickly coming to an end. We made our first Wal-mart run for diapers. The pack of 92 lasted no more than two weeks. I started taking the idea of cloth seriously. Honestly, who can afford roughly $40 a month in diapers? Who wants to?
I started doing some serious research. Most of my early searching started from this blog: theclothdiaperreport.com. She gives a lot of basic information about different types of cloth diapers, brands, etc. Since I was completely novice, I started at the beginning.
There are a wide variety of cloth diapers out there: prefolds, pocket, all-in-ones, one size... the list goes on. That is not to mention brands. Wow. Who knew? I spent seriously a full week doing internet searches and trying to figure out what would work best for us.
In the end, we have purchased Fuzzibunz sized diapers. They are pocket diapers--meaning there is an insert that I stuff inside the diaper before use. The beautiful thing about Fuzzibunz is that I do not have to de-stuff the diaper before washing. I simply throw it in the washer and the rest is history.
Oh wait... that's the part about this whole thing that grosses most people out: the washing. So far, I must say it's pretty easy. I do not need to rinse or soak these bad boys. Like I said, I simply throw them in. Someday when Raymond has more solid bowel movements I will need to dump it in the toilet before stowing the diaper in my diaper bin awaiting wash. But that's all. From there I do a cold pre-rinse, and a regular wash cycle. And I only use 1/4-1/2 the detergent. Since we've bought the lower end of the recommended number to have on hand, I plan on washing about every other day. Not so bad.
They seem to do ok with leeks so far. They do need the recommended initial 5-6 washings to be the most leak proof... but they still only leak about as much as the disposables.
And the best part? Besides saving the land fills from billions of diapers... there will be no more Wal-mart runs in the near future.
10 comments:
Good for you!
We just were talking about these on Sunday night and how we'll probably go this route too, since it's just SO much cheaper.
ew.
so I have quite a few friends who have used these cloth diapers (either fuzibunz or bumgenius) and they have loved them. Plus don't they look so cozy on their little bodies? All it took was one time watching my friend using a spatula to scrape the poop (of her two year old...not too solid) out of the diaper and into the toilet, and I knew it wasn't for me. I have poop phobias. :) But I think babies look SO cute and them, and they are super smart cost wise. You are definently someone i could see pulling off something like this with no problem.
I'll tell you what - coming from someone who muddled through 6 babies in the OLD FASHIONED diapers, pins, plastic pants yada yada. I think the little Fuzzibuns are GREAT!!!! Good luck
love debbie mom
Well, he definatly looks stinkin cute in them that is for sure!!! you went through 92 diapers in 2 weeks? That IS craziness! I don't think I have yet to do that with any of my boys. I am with Sara, if anyone can pull this off it is you. Definatly not really something I want to do, but it would be saving me some mula if I did (or would):) You will have to let me know how you continue to like or not like them. Love you!!
I like the idea of cloth diapers but I just don't want to deal with cleaning the poop off. I think it is great you are doing this. Adorable picture of Raymond!
I've heard good things about Cloth diapers! I'm thinking that with my little bun in the oven, they're something I would definitely consider using! I think if we're going to be out running errands all day, I would go with disposable, because its so easy just to throw those away, but for the rest of the time, I think cloth are super smart.
I am proud of you Carly! I, like Big Mama, used cloth diapers. If I was as smart then as I am now I would have come up with some innovations like the snaps and pockets. I NEVER had a baby with diaper rash except when we used disposable diapers on a trip... Sometimes they were hard to get smelling sweet if they had been in the diaper pail for too long. If that happens, put about 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the last rinse and the odor will be gone. I think babies do much better with cloth diapers and the money saved in unbelievable! (Never could convince my kids of that though) :) Good luck, Love you, Cindy
I found your blog through Kendra - I went to school with Jeremy. :)
If you will, please let me know how it works out- we are seriously considering switching over also! We just have to figure out how to pull the money together for the initial purchase... :S
Carly! I'm so excited! BJ and I are doing cloth diapers, too. Except we're doing bumGenius. I debated between those and Fuzzibuns, but ultimately I went with bumGenius because of the one size. It was just easier to swallow a large price tag when I knew Kessa would be able to wear them her entire diapering life.
Anyway, I just love hearing other people are doing cloth diapers, because then I don't feel like such a "lone reed". I love that it's becoming more of the fad.
Also, if you've never shopped at diapers.com or momsmilkboutique.com, I can get you $10 off your purchase. And at diapers.com, I can get you an additional $14.97 (I think) in a rebate. If you're interested, email me (tiannahomer at gmail) and I'll give you the info. It's always nice to get a bit of money back when you're spending so much.
Post a Comment