Friday, November 13, 2009

How do I love thee?

I think I am getting more socially awkward lately.  And I think it's because I'm worried more about what to say (when I don't know what to say) instead of letting go of all pretense and genuinely listening and caring about whomever I am talking to.  I want too much to say the right thing.

This morning I was reminded (while rereading an old study journal) of something I observed another MTC teacher teaching missionaries back when I worked there. She was reviewing a practice teaching situation they had just had. Bless their hearts.  They had been so concerned with teaching their lesson (remembering all the principles, going in the right order, switching back and forth successfully), that they hardly paid any attention to whomever it was they were teaching. A common thing in the MTC.  This good teacher taught those missionaries that teaching (and I would say living) can be like looking in a mirror or looking in a magnifying glass.

When we live by looking in a mirror, all we are concerned about is how we're doing. (Did I say the right thing? Did that make sense? What are they thinking about me? Etc.) Living by looking through a magnifying glass, however, happens when we focus in on whomever is sitting in front of us. We look deep into their hearts and really listen to what they say, and what they don't say. It is noticing the details. It is, by far, a more Christlike way to live.

I have been thinking about all these things today as I put off calling up the girls I visit teach and making appointments.  Is making that phone call hard for anyone else?  I always feel like I am bothering them.  Which is strange, because I would gladly welcome such a call from my own visiting teachers. I havn't been visited myself in almost four years.  I keep hoping with every move and new ward that it's going to happen.  I really, honestly, would love to have them.  So why do I feel like a burden to call the girls I'm assigned?  Why do I think they wouldn't want to be visited?  Sigh.  Why do I worry more about what to say than about finding out what is going on in their lives? 

I need to live more like I'm looking through a magnifying glass than a mirror. I need to welcome them into my life and hope that they will do the same.  As Elder Holland so eloquently teaches, the same is true for all our relationships. The question is how do I love thee? And I want the answer to be: as Christ does.
watch here.

6 comments:

Jeanine said...

It is so funny that you said that because Wednesday I was doing relief society visits and that was exactly what was coming up. We visited some people that haven't been visited in 3 months (not 4 yrs:) and trying to figure things out. It was a common factor that people feel like they are bothering others when they call although they LOVE their visiting teachers to come. I am sad that you don't have VT come :( maybe I'll have to start being your VT!:)

dntbaker said...

thank you... i need this!
love ya

Tasha said...

It really is so true. If it wasn't for the phone call I would be a really good visiting teacher. Sad. I need to make my calls too.

Tasha said...

It really is so true. If it wasn't for the phone call I would be a really good visiting teacher. Sad. I need to make my calls too.

Jaime said...

i know, the month marches on and I am so lazy. I really love my sisters I visit.

Mom C said...

What is the big deal with the phone calls? I HATE to make phone calls for visiting teaching!!! This is the ONLY way I could beat it. We have a designated day/time for our sisters. The 2nd Tuesday morning of each month at 8:30, 9:00 and 9:15. It has relieved ALL the pressure of 1. fiinding my partner home to see when she can go. 2. Coordinating with 3 other sisters. We have been doing this now for 6 months and HAVEN'T missed a beat yet! We program it into our phones so we are reminded its coming. I have also given "stickers" to the sisters I visit to put on the calendar for the "next month" to remind them - We're coming! I LOVE to have visiting teachers and have gone years at a stretch without them. I'm kind of on the 2 year stretch now. Although I have certainly become one of the women that everyone HATES to have come because I'm NEVER home! I've got to remedy that. Maybe I'll start calling them (oh, the nasty word) and telling them when I'll be home!
Good luck! Love Debbie mom