Friday, January 22, 2010

How to be a self taught sewer

Disclaimer: my mom is an OUTSTANDING seamstress. She is absolutely amazing. She smocks and tats and knits and quits and can do just about anything with a sewing machine (from prom dresses to dolls). She's good. And while I didn't really sew much myself growing up, I watched her a awful lot. Sitting on the floor of her sewing room while she works on a project is, in fact, still one of my favorite spots in my parent's house. I've seen her make a lot of things. So I guess you could say that some parts of sewing are absolutely intuitive for me.  I've seen her do it so many times that I automatically know what to do myself. It helps.

With that said, two years ago (just two folks!) I was pleasantly surprised to be given a sewing machine for Christmas. Surprised, I say, because I hadn't sat down at one in roughly 10 years. My sewing experiences up to that point included one quilt, made in high school. All straight lines. All sewing heavily supervised. It was, you could say, a leap of hope on my mom's part that I would put my new machine to any kind of use. She was even willing to be ok with the idea that I might not take it out of the box. Like I said, my mom rocks.

I went home (to Blanding, at the time) and decided to set it up on my desk in my room.

It was pushed out of the way, but it was there. Staring me in the face every morning when I got up and every night when I went to bed.  It was incredibly accessible. Best move I ever made.

Step one: Get your machine out of the box and put it somewhere you can access it.

I started slow. I decided to waste a needle by practicing on paper. I practiced straight lines for a few weeks. A little here, a little there. Then I started cooking up ideas in my head of things I could make. Little bags and such. I went to the store and bought some fabrics. A little here, a little there.

I am a believer in trial and error. I made four or five bags and only used one. The rest just weren't that cute. Or the handle was too long. Or the dimensions were wrong. No matter. I'd make another.

Step two: Turn the machine on. Practice, I say.

I was (am?) incredibly slow back then. A bag would take a few hours (shocking but true!). But no matter. It was part of the process. To learn to sew you've got to sew. Turn on the machine, you know? Get out your handy-dandy unpicking tool and dive in.

I used to be totally scared of sewing curves. Not that I'm any huge expert now, but sew a few bibs and frogs and birds and you definitely get more confident. And faster.

Step three: Trust yourself.

Now there are good things to be said about following a pattern. But I'm usually brave enough to just figure things out. Hello online tutorials (here's a good site to start with). They're everywhere. I'm a big fan of just jumping in. Make it up. Follow someone else's picture directions. Follow your own. Don't be afraid of messing up (like I said, become friends with the unpicker). And most importantly, don't be afraid of taking the machine out of the box. Turn it on. Think of the possibilities. I sew so much because it's easy to get to my machine (it's still on the desk where I do my scripture study and pay the bills... just pushed to the corner when not in use).

Step four: Stretch yourself. Try new (and hard!) things.

There are still plenty of things I'm not good at, or that I'm nervous to try (hello zippers... you make me uncomfortable! And for some reason elastic scares me. Guess that means I need to get my hands on some and give it a whirl).

I get comments all the time from people saying they "can't sew."  It's a falacy folks. I bet you can, you just don't know how yet.  I totally support taking a class, sitting down with a friend who knows, or reading a book on it. But I MOST support starting. Wherever that needs to be for you. You won't be good right away. Your first project will probably be a bit wobbly. That's ok! Don't expect it to look like it came straight out of the Pottery Barn Catalog. The more you sew, however, the better you'll be.

Ready??  Big G, little o, let's Go sew!

8 comments:

Jaime said...

You're right of course. I do love to sew, but my sewing machine has gone the way of the closet since we started homeschooling, and the desk has been taken over by pencils and grammar books, and crayons and alphabet boards. Must find a new place.

Tasha said...

SO TRUE!! Love this post. It is exactly how it went for me too. Just trial and error. It takes time, but just like learning an instrument or anything else for that matter it takes PRACTISE. So have fun and go and make things!!

Shannon said...

You are right. I say I can't sew because I haven't learned yet. I don't have any accessible place to put my machine. Perhaps a class would be my best option. Either way that was inspiring. I think of you as a seamstress!

Cansas said...

aaaahhhhh....I feel like that post was written with me in mind. First things first, I need my own sewing machine. I currently have my mom's machine. I'm afraid if I set it up it would never be returned:)

Mom C said...

Ahhh sewing. It was one of those things like playing the piano, I begged forever and once I was given the opportunity - I was in
7th Heaven. I wish I had taken some tailoring classes to learn the "finer" points. My folks bought me a machine when I graduated from high school - its still cranking out projects and has paid for itself 100 times over. I will admit, sometimes it can be frustrating when things don't work. For me, however it is extremely satisfying!

Debbie Mom

becca lynn said...

You've inspired me!! I sewed all my Christmas presents this year, but it was all straight lines, I am going to start a bag tomorrow!!! Thanks Carly!!!
~Becca (Wilson) Hall

joyous said...

Great post! Thanks for the inspiration. So glad that you have found so much happiness in developing your beautiful talent! :)

Emma said...

Wonderful post. I took 4 sewing classes at BYU and loved them. The first class I spent more time unpicking than I did sewing. I spent so much time in the lab after hours perfecting my seams. But man did it pay off! I wish I could have taken the other 2 more advanced classes that were offered, I just didn't have the time. I made the baby shoes from stardust shoes and they are adorable. They weren't hard but took lots of patience and slow sewing. This reminds me I have a few projects to sew today.