Saturday, January 30, 2010

We Are Reverent Book

From about the time Raymond could hold up his head and show interest at all in the world around him, I wanted to make him a Reverent Book for church.  We go to church in a singles ward (read: a very quiet ward) where Raymond is a significant distraction to everyone around him. Toys don't help the situation. Not only that, but I don't really just want to get in the habit of using toys to keep Raymond quiet. I want to start (I know, he won't really get it for a while but that's not the point) teaching reverence.

With that in mind, I decided to make a Reverence Book. I found tons of examples for Quiet Books (here, here, here, to start)... but I knew I could go a step further. A quiet, entertaining book that also teaches reverence.

I made a list of songs from the children's song book that I thought would work, and finally decided to use the words to  "We Are Reverent" (page 27).  I didn't (don't) know the tune, but the words were perfect. I sketched out what I wanted each page to look like ahead of time, and then just started sewing! It took all my free time (read: Raymond's nap and bed times) for a week, but it's been worth it.

So without further ado, Raymond's very own Reverent Book:

The outside over: canvas material, hand embroidered title, button closure

Pages 1 and 2. Page 1 is definitely my least favorite. I would do many things different if I were to do another (plush fish that move rather than the ribbon moving). Page 2 is Raymond's favorite. He has a definite thing for buttons (which is why all of these are sewed on very securely). The felt sun is removable with a spiral embroidered sun underneath.

Pages 3 and 4.  The CTR are velcro and thus removable. Page 4 is hand embroidered with flap shadows.This just might be my favorite page (although Jeremy was disappointed the shadows aren't black. What can I say? I didn't have any black felt on hand and though brown was just fine. What do you think?) I love how our little family turned out.

Pages 5 and 6. If you can't read the words on page 5 is says, " Still as distant, watching star." This was the easiest page to make (a bonus!). I think I'm nuts to have actually embroidered "The Book of Mormon" on the mini book attached to page 6... but it's pretty cute, don't you think? Also note: little Raymond John (as a cute sunbeam of the future) is singing and his future sister (of someday) is praying (we always joke that we'll have a girl with brown curly hair next).

The End.

Someday I really want to make a Book of Mormon Reverent Book  and a Bible Stories Reverent Book. But not actually any time too soon. This little fellow was a lot of work! But oh so worth it.

12 comments:

Shannon said...

Very cute! I'm sure it will do the trick. My friend and neighbor made a quiet book for my boys for Christmas. I almost cried I was so grateful. I know how much work it must have been. I love it though and at the start of the new year I put together a new church bag with NO toys. It was a little bit of a hard transition, but the kids each have a notebook to color in, the quiet book, and a couple regular board books from home to look at. I love that you did a reverence theme. Very cute.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Also, I saw your two week menu and I have the BEST recipe for meatloaf. It's also great as a freezer meal. I'll find it and send it to you in case you want to use it.... :)

joyous said...

Super cute! I love all the hand embroidery. I that's my favorite part. :)

Tasha said...

Oh Carly. It is F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S. Really. Fabulous. Amazing. Oh, it makes me want one. I just adore it. I love all the embrodiery. And for the shadow. I really like it brown. I think our shadows are actually more brown then black. I just love that it is your little family too. Oh, it is just so great. So much work, but so so so fabulous. You will have it forever to treasure too.

Cansas said...

What else can I say - you're amazing! Ray Ray is one lucky little guy.

Jaime said...

Holy Cow I am the laziest mother ever. That book is fabulous and so special. Great job.

Mom C said...

So very cute! Reverence at Church IS possible (I didn't every achieve it) - but we did have a family, the Stringham's who NEVER brought toys, or cheerios etc to church and always sat quietly in Church! You're well on your way!

Letti said...

What a lucky boy to have such a creative mom. I love that you made this to a primary song. Great work.

Amy said...

That is an amazing reverent book. I love how you did it all. The song idea was great.

sara said...

Wow, that's one awesome book!! That would have taken me week(s) to finish. Maggie LOVES to look at books during church. We have a flip book - Joseph's coat of many colors - that she loves and a few other non-church books but I love your reverant book! What a fabulous, fabulous idea! Cheers to you sister dear!

Cindy n Orv said...

Wow, Carly! What a fantastic idea! You did such a good job and Raymond will love it all his life! Always remember to sign your creations. I stitch my name and love into the quilting on every quilt I make. It is fun to know you sent a message of love that will remain forever... I can't wait to see your next sensation!

Tianna said...

So I've been pondering this and have decided that I need to expand my talents a bit and I'd like to make something like this. Would you mind if I copied your idea? Even some of your pages? (It's totally ok to say no, btw. You worked hard at creating this and it's totally your right to have it all to yourself.)