the General Relief Society President. Back when the monthly visiting teaching messages were a collection of quotes, it became a standing joke between my visiting teachee and I that I always, inevitably, characteristically, unabashedly shared her quote.
She just has no problem saying it like it is. And I like that. No need to beat around the bush here.
She's a classic defender of homemaking and motherhood without the sugar coating and back patting. She knows it's hard work, but necessary (commandment type) work, and she won't back down from her high expectations for women around the world. It makes me feel respected and valued to be held up to such a high standard. It is empowering.
So when our new Stake Relief Society President mentioned some new training videos Sister Beck has done on the Relief Society page of lds.org, you better believe it was on my to-do list today to see what she had to say.
As always, she didn't fail me. I love this video about priorities. I love that idea that there are essentials, needs, and "nice to dos" in our lives. Especially as women and mothers. And I agree that it's easy to spend too much time in the "nice to do" category and not enough sincere and lasting time in the things that will bring salvation. As my Stake RS President said last night, when we do the essentials first, we find more joy in fulfilling our needs (cooking, cleaning, etc) and more time than expected getting to do the "nice to dos."
I've found this to be true. I am most dissatisfied with my life when my prayers are short and careless and when my scripture study is easily and often interrupted (or worse yet, constantly postponed). Truthfully, the rest of the day I feel guilty and uneasy about it. On the flip, I am most content and energized when those essential things are done early and sincerely in each day.
Watching this video clip made me that much more excited for the upcoming General Relief Society Broadcast (on the 25th this month). And General Conference the next week. I just feel ready for the boost that comes with conference.
As a footnote: Episode 15 of "Conversations" (interviews with Sheri Dew) on the Mormon Channel (a radio station/website) is of Sister Beck and her two daughters. It's fun. You should tune in sometime.
2 comments:
YEAh for Sister Beck! I love her quotes, her stance, everything about her is comforting as a wife, mother, sister etc! And she is such a nice person! genuine, funny, etc etc. We met her when Del was inducted into the Dixie Hall of Fame and she is amazing.
That talk by Sister Beck (that she then does the video on) is one of my favorites too. I read it awhile back and it has stuck in my mind. She is a great defender of Motherhood and I love it too. There is a reason I think she has been called to come and stand up strong and without all the fluff. I think our world needs it. We all do. I can attest for myself as well. I do. It is easy to be distracted and choose to do the "fun" things and then all else falls apart and we wonder why. Love you Carly.
Post a Comment