Sunday, February 5, 2012

What to do


So yesterday, in our Bountiful Basket, I got three (yes THREE) things of celery. Two of which were in the fruit section?

Anyhow, I'm at a loss. I like some celery and peanut butter now and again. Celery in my chicken noodle soup. Even celery in my salad is just fine.

But what am I going to do with three (heads?) things of them? I really can't imagine.

Do you have any stellar celery recipes up your sleeve? Everything I've found via google pretty much made me want to gag (fried celery? No thank you. Likewise to the braised celery. Even celery soup does not look or sound good).

I swear I remember Hermana Zalaya--the Relief Society president in Catacamas--on my mission in Honduras, making a celery sandwich in which she blended the celery--leaves and all. And, much to my surprise, it was good. But I can find (so far) no such recipe online.

Excuse me while I go eat some ants on a log as my before bed snack.

9 comments:

Katy said...

I don't have any recipe ideas, but I would suggest chopping it up and freezing it for soups and such. I've been doing that lately with the carrots we buy in bulk and it's been awesome!

Jeanine said...

I have heard people say they do a quick blanch and freeze it. Or you could dehyrate and use if for soups, etc later. Another girl said she makes the cream of celery soup and freezes that in bags and then uses it in place of cream stuff in here recipes. Good luck!! If there is one thing I just can't get myself to like in this life, its celery!

Janssen said...

You could always save the tops and the bottoms for vegetable broth.

Janice Richardson said...

Your kids might enjoy painting with them, like this rose idea: http://blog.parentella.com/2011/crafting-with-celery/
(Okay, maybe just Raymond) :)

Lucy said...

I definitely recommend freezing it. I love having little baggies of chopped celery ready to go for soups. I also happened to come across a recipe for curried celery soup on this site: www.neverhomemaker.com -- could be good? Who knows. Good luck!

Shannon said...

That is kind of why I stopped getting the organic produce box from Winder Farms. I got too much of one thing almost every time. And it was rarely something I use a lot. And generally something I could have bought at the store for pretty cheap. Anyway, I have no ideas for celery. I can't even remember the last time I bought it! Sorry. If you do happen upon anything amazing do share!
PS-How was your dinner at Faustina?

JWaldron said...

Julian loves to chew on it when he is teething. They could make a fun baby snack:) I love cooked celery in stir fry, in soup, and on Hawaiian hay stacks. Good luck!!

jennmom2000 said...

I have a sweet and sour chicken recipe with celery and pineapple (a stir fry) thats really good. In fact, I think its in the Westminster Ward cookbook. DO you have that? The one with the black spine? Its on page 162. Ask your mom if you don't have a copy.

Tasha said...

My first thought was like a lot of others...chop and freeze it. I would chop it up and then put into probably 1 and 2 cup increment to put into soups when you need it. It freezes really well. I also just chop up a whole head and put it out with a dip and it is gone pretty quick at our house.