Friday, June 13, 2014

Jane Eyre


For the past few years if someone asked, I would claim Jane Eyre as my favorite book. I love it so much, it's one I aim to read again and again my entire life. Every few years like clockwork. Not because I think the plot is riveting (once you know who is in the attic, the plot twist loses it's mystery). Not because it is a literary masterpiece and the English major/teacher in me is repeatedly dissecting literary themes. 

I love Jane Eyre because of Jane. 

For me, she is one of the greatest female protagonists of all time. She is so real, her struggle so human. She is so good. Her effort for integrity and purity inspiring. 

I love her. I want to live up to her ideals. To be passionate for truth and goodness as she is. To be as devoted to what I believe and who I love as she is. 

In fact, I can't stand any film version of this book that I've seen simply because all those modern film directors and actors seem to always get Jane's character all wrong. Everytime. They leach from the story her moral drive, her willingness to endure what is (in her quiet devoted life) complete devistation for what she knows is right. Her willingness to sacrifice everything, everything, she loves, hopes for, longs for, and could have because she refuses to become Mr. Rochester's mistress. In fact, she turns her back on society, the man she loves, and her home all to keep her self respect.

She is hard working, patient, devoted, loving, faithful, and good. Good.  

And while she is fictional, I love that my middle name is her name. Falling back into her story every few years reminds me to be better. To be more content with quiet devotion. To be more passionate about the people and things I love. 

2 comments:

BWei said...

Carly!! It is so nice to hear your "voice" again. I had no idea you'd had another--congratulations! I love that name. And I love Jane Eyre as well. Hope you can somehow find time to write as I do so enjoy learning from your perspectives and attitude.

Tasha said...

I love this so much. I did not know you loved all these things about Jane Eyre. It makes me want to go back and read it again. It has been a few years.