Life around here is hectic but good! I just can't seem to get enough sleep! And I just don't want to grade papers. I think I am as bad as my students (who don't want to write them!). I spent all weekend making gingerbread ornaments (my house still smells wonderfully of cinnamon and applesauce) and today (don't listen with your environmental ears and please forgive me) I got a Christmas tree! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell of real trees in my house at Christmas time. Heres the story of how I came to possess it:
In a small town like Blanding there are two ways to get a tree: 1. purchase a plastic one, 2. cut one down. Even if you go to someone's yard-sale mini tree mart, it is still of the "cut down" variety. You can imagine my horror at this discovery--remembering that I grew up in suburbia where Christmas trees are grown in "Christmas Tree Farms" and conveniently placed in every parking lot for miles around, starting right after Thanksgiving. I was, last week, in third period mentioning my deep sadness at the Blanding tree-predicament when two of my students very excitedly volunteered to "get" me a tree! Although I know there are not enough trees on this side of the state to cut any down, I couldn't bear to quell their excitment... especially since it was my only hope of getting a real tree this year (there is no way I would EVER cut my own). So, tonight, they brought me the most fantasticly lob-sided, fat, and squat, little Blue Mountain tree that I ever did see! I immediately put that sucker in a tree stand and have been tying my dozens of red bows to it since! I now have a beautiful little Christmas tree... and not a paper graded! The three guys who brought it over were a hoot--they first brought me a sad little dying stick with dead leaves hanging all over it... laughing hysterically. Next came a rather small little branch... and finally my darling little tree. I think it was more than worth the dozen or so molasses cookies that I paid them with. Please don't hate me forever for loving this pagan tradition!
9 comments:
Smiles are spread wide across my face!! I love love LOVE it!!! Oh, Carly Jane, I am so happy these boys came to your rescue and got you a tree. Yea for another blanding traditions that you now get to partcipate in!!! It makes me just smile. Oh, for the small town life . . . it just makes me laugh. I am sure it smells so good. I miss the smell of a real tree. Give us a few years and we will be back to getting real ones. I really do miss them. Yea for Christmas time!!! Thank you, thank you Blanding boys!!
ps . . . and thank you Miss Paige for sacrificing your camera so we can see Carly's tree!
pps . . .and I love the curtins hanging in the windows of your double doors. Have you always had those?
Okay, enough P.S.'s
The shout goes out to Zac Adams, Lewis Sharp, and Jayson Palmer!
Yes, I have had those curtains for a while; my landlady made them.
i love the tree! Its so charlie brown and adorable! Christmas trees are the best and smell so good! Hope you enjoy your december. Now, go grade some papers! ;)
you are too cute carly! i love seeing what ur up to!
I love the tree Carly. And good job on making all those gingerbread ornaments. I made some six years ago and still put the ones I have left (slowly they keep breaking) on one of the two trees I have. Isn't Christmas the best? I'll have to post some pics soon of our cute decorated house!
Everyone should live in Blanding, so we can all cut down our own tree or bush... and decorated it. Trees these days look so genetically perfect... so it's nice to see that at least one person I know has misfit tree:)
Sincerely,
Sara's other half
Post a Comment