
When Huck Finn started down the Mississippi with Jim--a runaway slave--he didn't really realize he was helping Jim runaway. He mostly just appreciated the company. In the meantime, Huck discovered that Jim was a real person--just like any white person (and better than some). Jim took care of Huck, looked after him, covered his watch, and told him stories.
When suddenly they had been tricked and Jim was sold back into slavery (for "forty dirty dollars") by a pair of frauds and tricksters. Huck suddenly found himself wondering what he should do about society's "right" and "wrong." He had been taught all his life that slavery was endorsed by the Bible and the penalty for helping a slave runaway was damnation.
Huck suddenly had to make the choice if he would follow society's conscience and turn Jim back to his rightful owner or do what he felt to be a sin, and help Jim get free.
What I love about Huck's internal debate and ending declaration to "go to hell" is that he isn't just throwing his hands up and what everyone says and being rebellious. He is not going out and breaking the law for impure motives. He is making a conscience decision and accepting what he thinks are the consequences: damnation (not only spiritually, but socially).
I loved getting to read this with my students today and talk about it. When it is ok to do something others see as "wrong" (even if not against the law)? Not only are we choosing to take the action, but we are conscientiously choosing the consequences as well. Huck knew that helping Jim to freedom would make him an outcast in every sense of the word. But because, deep down, he knew it was the right thing to do, he was willing to make those sacrifices.
This is the same thing President Hinckley talked about in "The loneliness of Moral Leadership" in the epilogue of Standing for Something. One more thing I love about being an English teacher: I can teach morals through literature. Isn't it beautiful?
5 comments:
Very very beautiful. And what I love about you is that you DO teach morals through literature. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for this lesson taught/discussed. I am sure you taught it well, because well, this is one of those things I know you to be passionate about. Oh, how I love thee my Carly Jane. Can I just say that enough? I think not! There is a reason you are suppose to be a teacher and teach at this time in your life. You may never know that impact you leave, but I can only believe there is a big impact being left with these students in Blanding. Even if it only be so many. I loved reading this. Thank you!
I think that picture of you on your blog should be the one you use as your author picture on the back of your first book. I LOVE it!
What a happy thought... I remember when I was a little girl trying to decide what I would be when I "grow up." My choices always evolved around: a teacher, a librarian, a composer, an author. Who knew that you could be more than one thing?
Oh, and thanks to Tasha's photography and Melanie's wedding for the photo :)
My favorite classes in high school were English, more specifically discussing books. Oh how I love it! I have great memories of Huck Finn in 11th grad AP English!
Post a Comment