Friday, February 29, 2008

Latest school rule


Just as the bell rang (school gets out early on Fridays--whoo hoo!), the principal announced on the intercom that they are tired of telling kids to keep their hoods down during school (a violation because they might have an ipod or cell phone or be a gang member or something. Reminder: there are no gangs in Blanding).

New rule: leave your hoodie in your locker.

Teacher reaction: you have got to be kidding me. First of all, how on earth am I supposed to enforce that? Second, it's cold! Third, that's just ridiculous.

Student reaction: WHAT?!?!? Everyone wear a hoodie on Monday. You too, Ms. T.

Maybe my problem is I am not one for lots of rules. I could care less if they wear a hat or a hood. I don't care if they wear all black. I would let them listen to their ipods while in the computer lab working on a writing assignment. I don't care if they use their phone during breaks (just not during my class). And if they come in tardy, I don't want to sign their handbook--they are lost in what we are doing and that's punishment enough (besides the fact that it feels I'm being punished to have to fill out and sign the thing). But they are school rules, so for the most part I enforce them.

But no hoodies in class? I am struggling with this one. Any suggestions of what I should do come Monday when they all show up in hoodies to boycott the principal?

13 comments:

Tasha said...

Yes, I agree this is a pretty dumb rule. I am fine with rules when they are for safety and importance, but this one I am totally with you. . . no hoodies??? The is plane crazy. I am going to think on what you should do. What do you usually have to do when a kid breaks a rule?

sara said...

I like that you aren't too strict with rules. Remember those teachers that were and going to those classes were just lame. I'm with ya on the hoodie thing. Have you talked to other teachers about this? What are they going to do when they come in hoodies??

Mandy Coffey said...

WHAT?!?!?!? hahaha that IS crazy. One side of me votes you boycott and go to school in a hoodie, but another part says don't risk your job or reputation with administration. You know what, boycott it, if nothing else it makes a great movie in ten years. Like Take The Lead or Coach Carter or something...

Ethan said...

This is from the District policies for San Juan School Distirct, which I believe that you are in.

6510.9 NOTICE OF RULES
A copy of the rules and procedures shall be made available to all students at the time of their enrollment in the school. If a school makes a significant change to its discipline rules and procedures, written notice of the adopted and revised discipline rules and procedures shall be distributed to all new and continuing students. In the case of all new, continuing or transfer students, a copy of the rules and procedures shall be provided to the student’s parents or legal guardian.
Utah Code Annotated § 53A-11-903

Basically the school needs to notify all of the students and the parents of a rule change through writing.

In addition to notifyint the student body and guardians, they need to notify the Board of Education as described below.

6510.10 SCHOOL BOARD REVIEW OF SCHOOL DISCIPLINE RULES
Each school shall file a copy of its school discipline rules and procedures with the Board within thirty (30) days after adoption of the rules and procedures. The Board shall review the rules and procedures filed by each school and may require the school to modify any rule or procedure that is not consistent with Board policy or state statute on discipline in the public schools.
Utah Code Annotated § 53A-11-901,902

The school cannot "legally" enforce this rule upon the student body until the board is notified and the rule becomes a rule.

If the students are punished for not adhering to the "rule", they are allowed to make a complaint, and they can make a written request for a hearing by the Board about the punishment and what they want to have be done about it.

I got all of this information off of your school districts website, freaky I know. I work for Infinite Campus as a Business Analyst. Infinite Campus is a student information system vendor, and this is what I do for work.

kiera said...

wear a hoodie! do it!

Anonymous said...

I taught English, too, and I always hated enforcing certain school-wide rules. The worst was the gum rule in my last middle school. Time after time in staff meetings everyone agreed to enforce the no-gum-allowed rule. I didn't agree with it; I think kids are more likely to hide it under desks and chairs when they think they'll get in trouble for having it. But I enforced it, and guess what? Most of the other teachers didn't. I hated being the meanie, enforcing a rule I didn't even believe in. There was also an anti-hat rule, and I *never* noticed hats, because they are just not a big deal to me.

Jillyboo said...

It sounds like you and Dave are similar teachers.... maybe you should teach College?!

Dana and Chase said...

that is amazing! i can not believe that owuld make them leave it in their locker! how sad for the cold little children...

Jamie C. said...

I must admit I had some catch up reading to do. First, what a day to read your post i=o commitment. Thanks for your thoughts on that. Second, I loved reading your little tribute to Tasha on her birthday. I didn't know either the marriage or mission story, so that was really really sweet to read. Especially because I remember how close you two were. It reminded me alot of what Bryn and I have been through with marriage and living away form eachother for the past 7+ years. Lastly, what a crazy rule. I remember when they banned us in HS from wearing gloves with short sleeve shirts, saying it was gang related. I don't think it ever really took, so maybe you just have to enforce for a little bit, but in time it will fizzle because everyone will realize how ridiculous it is. Let us know what happens!

Jaime said...

Whatever, I think that's sad! That's why I homeschool! Good Luck Sister Friend!

Shannon said...

Lame! So maybe they shouldn't have their hoods up during class, but thats totally different than not being able to bring them at all. I never wear the hoods on mine unless its windy or raining, so no worries there. How frustrating. I'm not sure what course of action you should take, but I liked the commment that you should just wear a hoodie that first day! :) I would never do it, I admit, but it would be pretty awesome. Good luck!

Mandy Coffey said...

so what's the update? what did you do monday?

Carly said...

Monday I didn't wear a sweat shirt. Sorry all. I also didn't make anyone take theirs off. Once I made a kid put his hood down. I went and talked to another teacher to see his point of view--and we decided that only if a kid is refusing to comply with the "keep your hood down" part would we make him take off his sweatshirt. I feel pretty good about that. It seems that all teachers have their favorite rules to enforce, and others they don't care about. Must be frustrating for administration, but I am thinking the kids remember which teachers care about which rules and get away with as much as they can. Oh well!