Thursday, March 27, 2008

You're Entering Navajoland

About two weeks ago I told you I got out to see some of the beautiful sites of San Juan County. It ended up being such a fun little drive and adventure. We went to Valley of the Gods--just a few miles south of Bluff (which is 25 miles south of me), the Goosenecks, and down around Mexican Hat. It was a perfect clear-skies day with good music, good company, and beautiful red rock scenery. I recently got the pictures and wanted you to see some of the incredible sites just a hop, skip, and a jump from my house.

We found this sign in Mexican Hat and thought
it was pretty funny :).

Valley of the Gods


One enormous rock precariously perched and looking like a little push will do the trick!
This is the view from when we climbed up one of the tall rock pillars. You can see our car and some guy's camping spot (and the dirt road) below.



The Goosenecks. Pretty incredible, huh? It is just a long winding river at the bottom of this incredible canyon.
I loved getting out and seeing what is near by. I really do live in the middle of nowhere... but it is a beautiful part of nowhere :).

9 comments:

sarawhat said...

Who is "we" ? Those pics are awesome.

Tasha said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful! You do live in the middle of a beautiful nowhere. Now, I just want to come see this no where. When or when do I get to come???? I so so so soooooooo badly want to. Hmmm . . .I think I am going to go try and find a star right now to wish on.

I am very glad you had fun going and seeing all these sites. I hope you get to see somemore too! I love ya!

Carly said...

Ah yes, the elusive "we." Sorry Sara. His name is Jeremy Christiansen and I don't know him too well (although I had fun!). He just got home from his mission and I have high hopes that we will be good friends. Cross your fingers for me :).

Tasha: COME!! This is me, begging you. What fun we could have! I would love for you to come visit me. This summer? This weekend? I'll come pick you up from the SLC airport. Just kidding.

Jamie C. said...

Joe and I volunteered to drive his brothers U-Haul trailor from Utah to Az one summer. We left from Helper and took the "beautiful" route. Since we had no children and were not on a time crunch, we enjoyed all those marvelous sites. The goosenecks were my absolute favorite. We spent forever just in awe look down at that incredible river. Glad to see that someone else sees the beauty that part of the country has to offer. We have opted to always take that route over the shorter ways, just because there is nothing like it! I'm glad you had fun.

Emma said...

Gorgeous pictures. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of all the drives from Houston to SLC in my childhood. (We always went through New Mexico and Southern Utah.)

Kd Perkins said...

Hey I know those places, in fact we manage Goosenecks! We'll have to go exploring together one of these weekends, okay?

kiera said...

all that wide open space and you had to park next to the guy camping. beautiful pictures! jeremy is leaving on a 10 day back packing trip to utah in a couple weeks...paria slot canyons!

Carly said...

Kd--I'm in!! I would love to :)

joyous said...

So fun, Carly Jane. I couldn't believe the expanses and wide open spaces when we drove from SLC to Moab a few years ago. There are a lot of beautiful places in Southern Utah!