The tradition carried to America from Europe and was also known as turkey work (because turkey red was one of the only colorfast colors of the time) or as penny blocks (because a block stamped with a design could be bought for a penny, as could the skein of red cotton floss).
I was in high school when I stumbled across this beautiful idea: all red embroidery. I had already made my first dishtowels and was ready for more. Since then I've been working off and on on a redwork quilt with all the letters of the alphabet blocked out in typical redwork design. I've done over half the blocks, I just currently don't know where they all are (someone remind me to look in my box in the garage when I go home in a few weeks...)

In the meantime, I love love love doing embroidery. It is relaxing and calming to me. I have made a fair number of dishtowels and a handful of other fun projects. What is fun about dishtowels is that they allow for all sorts of creativity. Since the actual towels were fairly cheap, I don't feel bad about trying out a new design or getting done and deciding one wasn't my favorite. They are quick and satisfying and make for fun little gifts.
Yesterday, as I worked on this little dishtowel, I realized, however, that I am ready to finish that long-lost redwork quilt! No better time like the present, right?
11 comments:
I have always loved your embroidery. Do you think sometime you could teach me how to do it? I love your quilt that you started. Very creative.
WOW!!! That "S" block is adorable! I can only imagine the whole quilt. That makes me want to pull out some of my projects that have been waiting in the wings. I must be getting close to having this baby because I have an intense desire to get stuff DONE this week. (Not necessarily the energy, but definitely the desire!) Enjoy your beautiful hours to work on your amazing projects!!
That is going to the most adorable quilt ever and hopefully it will go to one cute red-headed baby. ;) I love that you know the whole history of it too. That just makes it that much more fun and so much cooler. I love you and your red obsessions!
Your redwork is amazing. I look forward to seeing your finished redwork quilt project, after all the pieces are found. Enjoyed the history lessson. I have been wanting to learn how to embroider for a few years. Hopefully someone in my new ward can teach me.
I love embrodery and have always thought redwork had a cool history, using what you have to create something beautiful, just my style. The quilt blocks looks amazing. Make sure you post the pictures of the finished product. Would love to see or know what you chose for your dish designs. FUN FUN
So Carly I just realized that I sent your invite to our blog to hotmail instead of gmail...oops :) But I sent another one. Anyway I'm pretty impressed with your skills! That quilt will be cute!
I love your redwork. I think I want to learn how to do redwork too. I do embrodery, but not redwork. I love everything you have ever done and still cherish a few pieces I have. Keep working on that quilt. I really cannot wait to see the finished product one day too. :)
I LOVE that quilt! I wish I could see more. Could you tell me please where you got the outlines for the letters? They have that nostalgic feel to them that I love! Thanks for the history on redwork, it was interesting to read and makes me want to go embroder something!
(This will come out "Big Mamma" - but it's me, Jeremy's mom.)
Love the redwork. HOw fun, it will make a beautiful quilt. Debbie
Good news folks, redwork is SO easy. All you mostly use is the stem stitch (http://www.parddu.net/images/stem.gif) and an occasional back stitch or french knot. And then the key: red floss (I think I use DMC 304--but I'll have to check when I get home from Provo).
As for the patterns--I used to have some books (that are lost with my undone squares... when I find them, I will give you the titles). You probably could find some designs online too :)
I love the embroidery! It's so pretty. I hadn't thought about a red and white quilt like that before. I bet it'll be gorgeous.
Congratulations on your move to Cedar City. It's really nice there!
Post a Comment