Monday, June 9, 2008

Readers make writers

"What would you recommend to someone who wants to become a better writer (aka, me)?" --Alicia

1. Read. Good readers are almost always better writers. They are more aware of what makes good writing.

I really and truly believe that writing is strategic. It makes sense that it would be, because so much of our lives are strategic. Think about why you drive home the way you do every day--is it because it is the shortest route? the fastest? the least plagued by traffic? There are often methods to our madness. We use strategies without even thinking about it.

The same is true for writing, we just don't usually pay as much attention to the strategies that work best for us when it comes to posting a brilliant blog post or scribbling out a note or email to a friend. But the best writers are a little more aware of what strategies they use to have their readers react a certain way. To be good writers, we need to notice what other good writers do strategically.

I am talking about simple strategies here, like using a simple sentence (i.e. just a subject and a predicate: Carly likes red.), or even a fragment (i.e. just the subject OR the predicate: Red.). Remember: punctuation was made to convey meaning. I know your high school English teacher told you never to write a fragment (and she probably marked up your papers with "frag." all over the margins in a bold red pen), but published authors use fragments all the time in order to make an impact. Notice it. Published authors do all sorts of interesting things.

They use lots of line breaks. Even when they don't need to.

They use colons: again for emphasis. They use powerful imagery, similes, metaphors, personification (giving non-human things human like characteristics: "Our house was small, with it's feet tucked under like a cat." Of course, house don't have feet.), alliteration (repetition of the initial sound: The wind whistled around the white house.), and repetition in general (i.e. The quite night, the night, and the stars, and the damp of the cold...). They write long sentences. And short ones. They use strong verbs (why say she "walked" when you could say she "creaked" across the hard wood floor?) and interesting adjectives (she's not just a "tall" girl or a "skinny" girl, but a "long-legged, narrow-hipped" girl).

When you're reading, slow down and savor the words a little more. When you find you can't put a book down or you've read so fast you didn't notice the light growing dim outside without you, try to stop (or go back after the fact) and figure out just what they did to captured you so completely. And don't just say "it was good" or there were "nice descriptions." Dig deeper. Think about not only what happened in the story that was exciting, but try to figure out what about the way it was written that made it exciting.

To be good writers, we must be good readers. We must notice the tricks of the trade.

2. Write. I know that sounds obvious, but it's not to be overlooked. To be a good writer, you need to be writing. Everyday would be ideal, but if that's not feasible, pick a goal that is. Have places where you write (as in a diary, a writing journal, a blog, or a word document on your computer, in bed, at your kitchen table, in the park). Your goal could be a time limit (15 minutes a day) or a page limit (at least seven pages a week) or at a set time (everyday at 10am). Whatever it is, make it something that will get you writing a little bit out of your comfort zone.

And don't be afraid to write junk. Too often we expect to write the great American novel (or the most inspiring post or a breathtakingly poetic journal entry) in one go. Feel free to write a whole lot of really bad stuff before you write anything worth even looking at again. The more you write the better you will be.

So in conclusion, my simple suggestions for being a better writer is to read (chances are you already do this, just try paying more attention to how it is written) and to write (if you already are, try to write a little more).



On a completely unrelated note, but because I know so many of you want to know...

Jeremy Christiansen and I will be married in the LA temple on Saturday September 6th, 2008. Of course the colors will be red and red (much akin to "blush and bashful"...). And there will be daisies and roses in abundance. Thank you for all of your comments and emails and phone calls and well-wishes! I am one lucky girl. And I am sure you will all hear more about this wedding as the days and weeks and months tick-tock their way to September. In the meantime, just know the planning has begun!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was secretly and selfishly hoping for September b/c I had already bought a plane ticket to Utah in August and would be heart sick to miss the wedding. I would like to do a family shower for you sometime while you and everyone else is down. Find a good day and we'll pull it together :-)

Love, Aunt Betsy

Alicia said...

Thanks so much for responding to my question! I appreciated you validating and articulating some of my ideas, and I ESPECIALLY appreciated your counsel not to be afraid to write junk. I think that's the number one thing that holds me back-I don't want to waste paper/space/readers' time with junk (and let's be honest: I don't want to embarrass myself either!). So thanks for giving me permission. And thanks for the details about the wedding! Hoorah!

Kim said...

congrats on your engagement! with just the few details you have going right now, I know it will be a beautiful day.

Bryn said...

I totally missed your post about your engagment. CONGRATULATIONS!! How exciting! September is a perfect time in CA to get married. I am thrilled for you!

Tasha said...

I actually totally enjoyed reading that post on writing.

3 more days!!! (And counting)

YEAH, that the wedding planning has begun. Yippee Horray! I can't wait to see you and meet Jeremy! And have lots of fun in just 3 more days!!

Olson Family said...

yayyy for the LA temple! its totally the family temple and i love it!! i am sooo excited! keep us posted with the details!

joyous said...

Thanks for the advice on improving my writing. Sometimes I put more effort into my blog than others, but I enjoy the creativity it gives me in writing (which I have NEVER considered to be one of my talents). Hope you're enjoying your beautiful summer days. :)

Worthy Glover Sr. or Gail Glover said...

Carly, This is a wonderful time in your life. Savor it! And I just want you to know that I think marrying someone to get an alliteration name is perfectly acceptable! (Gail Glover)

Shannon said...

Nice post. Good advice. Also, yay for the wedding in September. Sounds like a great time. Unfortuantely Ian's sister is getting married the next weekend in OR, so I won't be able to come down. Bummer, but I am completely planning to see you in Cedar City in the fall. Love ya!

Amy said...

Congratulations on your engagement. I'm so happy for you. The LA temple is beautiful. I also appreciate your advice about writing.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

CARLY!!!!!!!!!
This is why I need to check your blog daily! I have missed it all!!!! I am soooooo stinkin' happy for you! I cant even tell you! Seriously I have tears in my eyes because I am so excited! Congrats congrats! And I seriously want to go to your reception, I am planning on it in fact! How exciting!!!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

Ps- How did you luck out and get a normal last name? Dulgarian ia so hard to think about living with forever! Chiristensen is so much better!

Jillyboo said...

I am so, so, so happy for you. And in LA too, my favorite!
I cant wait to hear more details as it all unravels. I love weddings. How exciting for you both, congratulations!!!!!

Josh and Tiff said...

Hey I just found your blog and wanted to tell you congratulations! That's so exciting to be getting married! I'm seriously so happy for you. I hope all is well!

Richelle said...

hi carly! i found your blog and quite honestly am so entertained! you are an amazing writer. just from a short glance i feel like i am living in a great book of fabulous stories that i want to be a part of! is that normal? haha. but really, it is so great to see you are doing so well.
<3 richelle (john) divis

Jessica said...

Really, I just want to thank you for helping me with my writing. I recognized all the advice you gave for writing as things that you've already taught me. Like with the writing logs we did, that really did help. Also, just to update you on my Junk Book, it's about half way full and my pen is almost out of ink. There is junk in there, but some of it isn't too bad. Some of those ones I actually put on my blog. So, thank you so much. And I'll email you the beginning of my book once I get it transfered to my computer.

ps. I'm still so exited for your wedding!! But I'm really going to miss you too...

Jaime said...

The Los Angeles temple is the best. Of course the temple is the best, but your pictures will be amazing. It's all about the pictures! :)