Friday, October 10, 2008

Where oh where have I been??

I am sure some of you have begun to wonder just what has happened to Carly Jane. I used to blog at least 2-3 times a week. I was diligent and dedicated and occasionally funny. And then I got engaged and then married and I have become a lost soul on the blogosphere. I post once a week if I'm lucky and I comment once a month if you're lucky! Lame. If that's what you're thinking, well, you're right on the money.

Not that I believe in excuses (in fact, I don't), but let me explain just a little bit of a day in the life of Carly Jane.

5:40 Phone alarm sounds. Hit snooze twice (five minutes each).

5:50 sneak out of bed so as to not wake up Jeremy. Shower, dress etc.

6:20 Head down stairs (yes, my little Cedar City apartment--for just $500 a month!--has stairs) and put away the dishes from last night (or do said dishes), engage in scripture study. At some point I put toast in the toaster and eat the morning meal.

7:15 Family scripture study (folks, this really is the best part of the day)

7:40 head out the door and walk to work (just a short 3/4 mile away--hooray for morning leg stretching!)

8:00 Begin a morning at Iron County's Adult Education. The morning is all Even Start. I plan my parenting class (yup, despite not being a parent), and my ESL class. Teach my cute little class of Mexican mom's who come to learn all I've got to give 'em. Do planning and correlation meetings etc. Try not to eat the fig newtons we always keep in the back cupboard (did you know I LOVE fig newtons? I do.)

1:00 Walk home. Usually I call Tasha on the way or read my book (yes, I know the route so dang well I have only once gotten hit in the face with a branch while reading and walking--and I think that was because it was a windy day). At this point I enjoy my little break in the day. I eat lunch, write thank yous, read (I succumbed... the thank yous aren't done, but the books are being read just the same. Dang.), tidy up, read a blog or two, make dinner, and, if I'm lucky, I take a short nap.

3:40 Head out the door and walk back to work.

4:00 Begin my afternoon Adult Ed duties. Mondays and Wednesdays I teach classes (Basic Literacy and GED prep.), so these days I do prep work and then teach. The other days I head down to the library where I hope (and pray and cross my fingers) that students are in need of my expert (who am I kidding?) help. If there aren't many to help, I make phone calls to those who haven't come in recently, make plans for other lessons to be taught soon, familiarize myself more with the curriculum the students are doing through packets, A+, and Plato. (oh, and talk to Jill, the TA).

8:00 Mr. Christiansen picks me up and we head back home. He finishes homework--sometimes i help quiz him etc as test prep. I eat some of the dinner I left on the counter for him earlier. If I am lucky, I read a little. We spend some quality time together.

9:30/10:00 the bed is screaming my name and I gratefully slip into it. Usually to not fall asleep for half and hour to an hour.

And there you have it. More information than you EVER wanted to know. Sorry. But there is this beautiful little thing call the weekend. And for me, that starts on Friday. Today is my day to run errands, do the laundry, clean house, and breathe. So far today's be accomplishment includes making granola (and writing this post). Next is laundry. I think a nap should fit in there somewhere. And maybe my book (Watership Down). And I blog. So far it's been the only day I blog...

But I make a pledge to do better about blogging. I will not only read your blogs in google reader, but I will comment. I will not only look at the comments on my own blog, I will write more posts! I've missed my little place in the blogging world these past few months.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

We have missed you too! I'm glad to hear that life is settling in nicely in Cedar and that you are enjoying married life. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures and I still want to see pics from your cruise!
PS-I love fig newtons too. Not strawberry or any other flavor they make, just fig. :)

Tasha said...

Yea! Please come back to us. Even if it is 1-2 times a week. :)

joyous said...

We've missed you too, but understand that you are "far too married" to be blogging with us. ;) I'm glad you like your job, it sounds interesting doing the adult ed work and keep encouraging that Mr. Christiansen....someday all those classes will be done, no really, they will!!!!

Cansas said...

Sounds like a happy life to me! I'm glad you've been able to read more. It's important to get some "me" time in:)

sara said...

Has anyone noticed your background change? I didn't think I was on the right sight. But I like it, dont get me wrong! I'm glad your back and you're looking at other blogs. I've been more faithful about blogging. It's nice to know what the day in the life of Carly entails. I love that you read on your way home. I laughed out loud and read that part to Stanford!

Janssen said...

Great post - I'm delighted to hear from you, no matter what you write.