Saturday, November 1, 2008

Once upon a time...

For at least the past five years running (minus the mission, of course), I have donned my reddest shoes and the Little Red Riding Hood cape my mom made years ago, and stepped into a fairy tale for Halloween. This year I dressed up for our work Halloween Family Fun Night on Thursday. I loved skipping around with my basket of bread and fruit in tow.

What is it about living in an alternate reality that is so appealing? For as long as I can remember, I have loved fairy tales and fantasy stories. And I have, honestly, tried hard to emulate some of my favorite fiction characters all my life.

As a little girl, I wished with all my heart that I could be as good and kind as Cinderella. I loved the Disney version where she spoke with animals (which scare me in real life) and sang like a lark. I wished I could do the same. I tried so hard to do whatever chores my mother gave me without complaining--just as Cinderella would have.

Of course, I have also long been in love with Miss Anne Shirley. I loved the movies and the books (still do) and wished I could be as feisty and fun and fanciful as she. In the books, she has this magical way of seeing the fairies and of building castles out of wild flowers and sunsets. I wished I could be as imaginative as she never failed to be. I always feared I was as a daft as dear Diana, despite my red hair.

When I read Les Miserables in high school, I was moved beyond measure by Jean Valjean. I wanted to be as noble and humble and worthy of respect.

In college when I first read The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley, I was impressed by Harry's strength, her resolve, her determination. I wondered what it would be like to be stolen in the night and to ride a horse bare-backed. Someday, perhaps.

Even my little Red Riding Hood, whom I imitate each year at Halloween is described as "a little village girl who was a sweet as sugar and as good as bread. Her mother loved her very much, and her grandmother was even fonder of her." Who doesn't want to be as sweet as sugar and as good as bread? I do!


If you could be (or be like) any fictional, fanciful, fairy character, who would YOU be?

10 comments:

BWei said...

Hmm--That's a toughie. I'm sure I'll think of more later. I love Anne Elliot (Persuasion) and her gentle ways. I love Elizabeth Bennet and her independent, intelligent streak. I love Anne Shirley for her goodness and imagination. I love Margaret Hale (North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell) and her service to others. I love Jo March and her writing abilities. Sheesh! So many! Oh, and I love Beauty from Robin McKinley as well--she's another great one. I wish I could emulate all their fine characteristics.

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

Anne Shirley/Blythe. She's just my FAVORITE!!!!!!!!

Holly Moore said...

I love this blog and totally identify. I use to pretend I was other characters out of books too. It was so much easier to do certain things if I pretended I was someone else. I always wished I could have been Jo from Little Women and run a school for poor little boys or write books. I love her spunky character.

LindseyFae* said...

I wanted to be little red riding this year, but none of the costumes covered all of me! If I could be anyone it would be Tina Fey!! She writes, she acts, she's funny, I love her!

Tasha said...

Mmm, I am not sure. But, I too love fictional characters. Actually to me, they really are not that fictional because they have become too much a part of me. I think that is why I love reading fictional books. I just jump into the story like I am really there and then think and analize and identify with them. I sure do love you Carly Jane!!

joyous said...

Well, I did just finish watching Pride and Prejudice before reading this post and am rather in awe of that Elizabeth Bennett character. I have always loved escaping into fictional stories. The Blue Castle is still one of my all time favorites and I love the heroine. I am not a big risk taker and I enjoy living vicariously through these strong risk taking women. I don't know if I could endure the losses, hurts or pains that come with the risks, but the payoffs are usually beautiful and well worth the down times. I'm feeling rather inspired right now to reach for more than I have in the past. Thanks for another great post Carly!!

Amy said...

Oh my so many I just don't know what to choose. There's Amy from the Ordinary Princess. I love her spunk and how she accepts herself for being ordinary. I admire the courage and resourcefulness of the characters from my favorite nautical adventures. Having just read Swiss Family Robinson, I love how smart they are to carve a home from a deserted island. I can't help wonder if all the books I've read would help me the same way.

Jessica said...

I always wanted to be Laura Ingalls. There is something about pioneer life that I find fascinating!

Lacey Lu said...

Lol, where to begin?? Most of my life I've been known to one of my friends as Snow White-long story short, when I was knee-high, I told her that she looked like Cinderella, and she told me I looked like Snow White, so She has Since & always will be, Cinderella & I, Snow White. I've always loved Goofy-He's fun, Happy, silly and well, goofy! I could go on and on with different characters that I've loved through the years, but I'll save that for another day. ...Today and forever more, I am living my own fairy tale! I'm happily married to My Prince Charming who treats me like a Queen!
Carly & Jeremy, You Both Are Awesome! Thank you for your friendship & kindness! You are fun people to be around! Love ya, miss you and thinkin' of the two of you!! Keep Smiling! Life's Gr8!

LindseyFae* said...

ha! ha! i just realized that i answered your question wrong.. maybe i'll blame it on late nights up with a teething bauer. i won't admit to what fictional character i want to be, so although it's not what you're asking.. i still wanna be tina fey.