Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Being "In a Motherly Way"

I am well aware that many of you readers have been (or are) pregnant and that this experience isn't entirely new to me. But sometimes, it really does feel like it is. Being pregnant has got to be one of the most bizarre, thrilling, incredible, and unreal experiences I have ever had. Now, for five months running. It is just so strange that this is a little somebody inside of me. Another person. And I can feel him in there moving around--kicking and punching--from the inside out.

It is so strange to me to try and imagine what this little man-child will come out and be like. What will his personality be? What will he look like? What will his little cry be like? His voice? His eyes? Will his chin be dimpled like mine? Will his eyes be blue like Jeremy's? Will he have tufts of dark brown hair or tawny red? Will he be a soccer player or a piano player or both? Will he be quiet and reserved or the life of the party? I just don't know. And there he is, hanging out in the meantime--in my belly. Crazy.

Despite the not-so-great parts of pregnancy (nausea, aching, bad sleep, and too many bathroom trips in a 24-hour period), I really love it. I love feeling him move around. I love it when he curls up into a tight ball and I can cup my hand around his little body inside of mine. I love feeling him roll over. It's like a tidle wave in my insides. I love poking and proding him just enough to get moving--playing little premature games of hide and seek.

I love knowing he is mine, he is part of me. That one day soon he'll enter this wide wide world and I will get to be his guide and mentor and protector as he navigates his way through it. I love this grand adventure of motherhood that begins in the slow and steady progression of pregnancy.

12 comments:

Shannon said...

It really is great, right? Although I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father designed it to get miserable at the end so that the birth part wouldn't be as big of a deal. "Anything to just not be pregnant anymore" kind of thing. ;) I'm so glad that you are enjoying it. Pregnancy is unique to everyone and this is all yours. Can't wait to see what your little one will be like too!

joyous said...

Amen, Carly. Amen. I also like what Shannon added that pregnancy is unique and this one is all yours. You now have your story to share. (I'm hoping for some red hairs on that little head!)

Cat said...

i know exactly how you feel. i loved it more than anything and i was only ready to be done like the last week. i am so excited for you, you will be the best mom ever.

Brynn said...

I remember at the beginning thinking I had never felt so alive, like every organ and system in my body was working the way it was intended to do. I felt fulfilled in a way I didn't know was possible, like I was finally fulfilling the measure of my creation. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it, too! I think it will be strange to not feel my baby moving inside me when she is born here in the next few days.

Kendra Goodrich said...

You're going to be such a great mommy!!! Lucky baby. It is cool being pregnant, even the second time around. It does look a little odd when you're almost due and you see them moving. To quote Jason when he first saw it "That's creepy looking". Asi es.

Tasha said...

You are such a good writer. I love how I can truly "feel" how you feel. I can relate too. Although this last pregnancy was a tuff one for me, there really is something amazing to have that little baby inside of you. I love that part of it. I love knowing that a little person is growing inside and that you are their protector. I love how you said you will be their guide, protector and mentor. That is exactly it and I loved hearing it in those words. YOu will be a wonderful Mother Carly Jane. I can't wait to get to share in all this motherhood with you and Sara. Now I get to learn from the two of you!! (Because I know I will!)

Alicia said...

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful thoughts! Ah, it is divine. I love how my hand goes automatically to rub my tummy for no real erason except to feel the bump growing there.

Lacey Lu said...

I must say, I love reading your blogs!!...You make life that much more fun!! I can't wait to be "a part of that world..." ...To feel a baby moving inside of me, dancing around and playing "hide and seek" with me!;-)
Keep Smilin'!! Life's Gr8!!!

Original Kos said...

How sweet, Carly. I have yet to experience pregnancy but I anticipate feeling extremely motherly and tender towards that little bump in my tummy. So happy for you.

LindseyFae* said...

It just gets better! I am lovin' my little boy.

Jamie C. said...

It's sweet reading your posts about being pregnant with your first born. So new and exciting. Experiencing everything for the first time. I love it. I have to say though, each pregnancy is just as exciting and you refeel those feelings of newness. I feel like I've forgotten everything there is about the newborn stage, so I feel like I'm doing this for the first time again. You will be a great mom and I can't wait to read all about your adventure.
ps-you should totally consider Charlie...even if we did use it (which we aren't) don't let something like that stop you. I'd love to hear what names you're considering.

bethanyr32 said...

I loved being pregnant, even with the drawbacks, and the worries about the baby. Feeling your child move around inside, knowing they're alive and have a personality already is just the most magical thing in the world. I'm so excited for you!