Friday, May 8, 2009

The insignificant

You know, so much of life is filled with what appears to be trivial or insignificant. We get out of bed in the morning and do the dishes and carry on multitudes of "how are you?" conversations, and it all blurs together into seeming insignificance.

But it's not.

If we choose for it to, itmatters. If we only pay a bit closer attention to the light coming in the window as we get out of bed, or appreciate the texture of that banana, or choose to smile back and sincerely care how so-and-so's day has been.

In an effort to rededicate my pen to the paper, I have been rereading Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg the last few weeks. And what I have gleaned most is the reminder to remember and care about the details. It's easy to let life slip by, waiting for whatever comes next. Tomorrow is the weekend. Next week things will be better. After school's over life will start. But the thing is, today the lilacs are blooming. And today there is a cool breeze. No matter how much I love snow, I would much rather enjoy what today has brought instead of pine after what is six months away.

The rest of what is to come will come. No need to wish it here any sooner than it comes all on it's own. And so despite it all, I am glad that I have today to do the laundry and eat lunch with Jeremy and embroider a wall hanging and listen to Jeremy's Paul Cardall station on Pandora. And anything else that may seem insignificant.

8 comments:

Mandy Coffey said...

Thank you for posting this. I really needed it!

Emma said...

Carly you are amazing! Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the insignificant things in life! Sounds like you are having a wonderful day already.

Cat said...

wow I cant believe you are already that close to having your baby in your arms!! Good luck with the moving. We were actually just in cedar helping my brother move. you sound wonderful and cheerful like always. thanks for the wonderful post.

Shannon said...

Good message. I always need the reminder!

jeannette said...

I found your blog via Bart's blog and I am so happy I decided to see whose blog said something about Blanding. Anyway, thanks for not making it private so I as able to read it and see how cute you are being pregnant. I will watch the blog for when you have your baby. Where are you moving to?

love, jeannette

Dallas said...

I've been thinking about details recently, too. I found out that our class' old blog is still online, and I went through and read almost everyone's different posts. We captured so many moments in those few weeks we did that.

Cansas said...

Very well said!

Tasha said...

Oh, you have such a way to bring life back into perspective to me. As I watch these 3 boys grow up I keep thinking "just keep enjoying these days Tasha, for you will surely miss them very very soon" I am glad to have you writting more. You always seem to inspire and strengthen me when you put that pen to paper (or in this instance those fingers to the keyboard) I love you.