Thursday, July 16, 2009

How to be happy

I recently stumbled across this talk by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin. I have been thinking a lot particularly about this quote from it:
Make up your mind to be happy—even when you don’t have money, even when you don’t have a clear complexion, even when you don’t have the Nobel Prize. Some of the happiest people I know have none of these things the world insists are necessary for satisfaction and joy. Why are they happy? I suppose it is because they don’t listen very well. Or they listen too well—to the things their hearts tell them. They glory in the beauty of the earth. They glory in the rivers and the canyons and the call of the meadowlark. They glory in the love of their families, the stumbling steps of a toddler, the wise and tender smile of the elderly.

They glory in honest labor. They glory in the scriptures. They glory in the presence of the Holy Ghost.

One thing I know for certain: the time we have here goes by far too quickly. Don’t waste any more time sitting on the bench watching life pass you by.
I find it takes a lot of consistent effort to not want to be one step ahead of where ever I am. I am working on glorying in the moment, this stage, this time in my life. I hope to never look back and wish I had gotten off the bench a little more.

9 comments:

Leslie said...

Great post Carly. I love it. I know I find I am a lot happier and content when I am feeling deep gratitude for the things Elder Bednar talked about. Thanks for the reminder it did my heart good today.

Shannon said...

Great reminder! It is so easy to wish life away, especially when you have kids. I often think "Oh it will be so nice when Davin is finally walking" or "How wonderful will life be when all the kids are in school and I have a couple hours to myself each day." I'm sure I will miss my kids during those hours. I really do try to remember that and live in the moment. Thanks!

Jeanine said...

Bask in every moment of Raymond being a baby, it goes by SO fast. I loved everyday of just sitting and holding my baby and really accomplishing nothing but that! (sad to say) It flys by and don't be afraid to love everything about it! I can honestly say that I loved every stage that Sadie has been in so far, although they each come with challenges, it has been so fun and enjoyable.

Tasha said...

I love that quote. Thanks for sharing it!

boteen said...

Thanks Carly. I too am very guilty of looking to the future. "When this or that gets over". We really are the happiest when we just enjoy every single day, no matter what. Right now I am enjoying being the only one home. Seems to happen more and more these days. That's ok too.

Jessica said...

Carly, your post couldn't have come at a better time for me. It's been a struggle with looking for work and this is a great reminder to be happy about the good things I have right now.

sarawhat said...

reading this quote is such a wonderful way for me to start my day. Thank for that. Love you carly!

joyous said...

Amen, Carly. I also work very hard to enjoy the moment, some moments are harder to enjoy than others, but they are all important. Thanks for another reminder. :)

Emma said...

I am just now rereading this post. This is perfect for me at this time in my life. My hubby has been unemployed for 8 months now and we are desperately trying to find work. Through this whole experience I have tried to focus on the most important, a healthy family, a roof over our heads and food to eat. Yet it is so hard to not want the things I don't NEED. Thank you for sharing this wonderful gospel quote. I love the quote I have been seeing all over blogs, "I choose happiness." This quote reminds me of you and your smiling face!