Two years ago when I was teaching 11th grade English, I had my students write a personal narrative. They were to tell a story as part of illustrating a bigger idea or concept. To be quite honest, the whole idea was lost on them, but I did get a quite a few narratives illustrating the long drive to California for a family vacation or trip to Disneyland. I couldn't help laugh (after reading the fifth or sixth of these essays) how the bulk of the narrative focused on the bathroom stops, fast food, and sibling fights of the drive from Blanding to Sunshine-Land. A short paragraph at the end proved that they did go to the beach or Disneyland or their cousin's house.
A few days ago my mom asked me if I was going to write a story about our trip to California. I smiled as I thought about writing a narrative for all of you about how many times we had to stop (at scary gas stations--I don't recommend Victorville unless it's to get some Taco Chon) to change dirty diapers or nurse in the car. The trip takes a few hours longer when you have a nursing baby in tow. Good times.
But I know better. I know that a good narrative will focus in on a single event and bring it to life, adding in details and dialogue and thoughtful reflection.
And yet I just can't pick a single event of this trip to represent the whole. I struggle to put into words the fleeting images of The Week At Home. How do you boil down something so comfortable and natural and loving in a single blog post? I feel like Joe March of Little Women and I am tempted to write a novel instead. To capture the essence of lazy afternoons with my sisters, of watching my dad hold Raymond with a contented grin on both their faces, of fun shopping trips, and late night bonding watching family classics (like Wild Hearts Can't be Broken, and the already mentioned Little Women).
The first few days were a blur of activity and family and wedding goodness, just as I knew they would be. But despite the hustle and bustle of hair cuts and family coming and going, the wedding dinner the night before, getting to the temple, pictures and receptions and so many people to catch up with, the sealing was a moment of calm and serenity.
I love how simple temple weddings are.
They are peaceful and quiet and serene. The sealer was focused on Blake and Whitney and said some very specific things about them and their posterity that was tender and touching. I loved sitting in the very room where Jeremy and I were sealed and remembering the experience we had. I loved seeing so much family there and remembering the welding link that is formed when we kneel across such an alter in such a place. Truly beautiful.
The reception was a bower of live and bounteous flowers in a gorgeous backyard. The food was wonderful, the DJ a hit, and the Bride and Groom aglow. Unfortunately Raymond was beyond exhausted, so most of the evening is a blur for me.
The rest of the week was a long relaxed week of sunshine and happiness. Raymond settled into a good sleep schedule and my sisters came and went.
Monday was Raymond's first beach trip. He loved running the sand through his fingers and being fed graham crackers on demand. Jeremy and Stanford loved building a castle. My mom got some sun and Maggie got to run into the water. Goldenspoon was the perfect ending to such goodness.
Tuesday was Tasha and Brayden and Chase coming with Jeremy off to San Fransisco. We went to Ikea and Bergstroms and took naps together on the couch. Ah the sweetness of sister time. I love spending time with Tasha.
Wednesday was Paige's day. She stayed home from school to study for her AP test... and shop with Mom and Raymond and I. That night we popped fresh pop corn (mmmm) and watched Wild Hearts Can't be Broken for Paige's first time. She loved it as much as I knew she would. There are few things I love more about going home than watching Torgerson Classics with Paige.
I'm really not sure what we did the rest of the trip. Made dinner and ate strawberries? Watched more movies, read books, took naps. It was the comfort of being home, of spending time with my mom, not feeling pressure to go anywhere or see anyone, watching Raymond fit into Torgerson life with ease and comfort.
The whole week was ideal.
At the last minute we decided to not do the whole drive home on Saturday, and stayed to watch Paige play rugby (yeah, she plays rugby) and go to Tanner's party. I was so glad to get to be part of all that fun. That night we drove to Henderson and spent the night with Jon and Summer. It was great to hang out with them that night and Mother's Day morning as Jeremy and Jon whipped up a killer crepe breakfast. Wow. They have the cutest kids ever, who loved Raymond to pieces.
Seriously, are we the luckiest ever?? Yes, yes we are.
(PS. My brother-in-law (the photographer) posted some dang cute pictures of Raymond here.)
5 comments:
Happiness. I loved this post. I just love reading when you write things Carly. This was a beautiful post where I was captivated the whole time. Oh, the fun of being home. Of the peacefulness of it all. I loved...yes loved...getting to see you. Getting some time with you. Loved some time with Raymond. I sure do love you. Thank you for postponing your trip home to be there for Tanner's party. It meant a lot to me. I sure do love you!! Happiness.
I truly admire your amazing writing talents.
Also - Wild Hearts may be one of the best movies on the planet!!!
What a great post! And I loved all the cute pic's that your Brother-In-Law took of Raymond.
So the diapers. 2 of the brands are OS and they are pretty bulky. The others are sized and I like the trimness. The Drybees are a great sized, AIO because they are trim and dry fast. The AIO do take a bit more time but they're not too bad.
What have your favorites been?
Great seeing you at the stake dinner:) I love your posts they are always so uplifting/encouraging/funny :) sounds like California was a blast
What a fun week! Oh how I wish I could have been there longer. There was good times had by all in attendance. I can't wait to do it again in July! I love you and your cute family to pieces!
Post a Comment