Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Right on track

All my life (that I have noticed) I find myself following a predictable trend: I gain weight in the summer and lose weight in the winter. All summer long I crave sweets and snack foods. I want to spend my days digging around in watermelon rinds and eating popcycle after popcycle.

And then one crisp magical day my appetite dries up. I just don't want to eat as much anymore. I have to remind myself to eat lunch (rather than work to not plan all morning about what I will eat next). There is something about the fall/winter that makes me just not as hungry or something. And those five or ten pounds that creeped on during the summer months seem to come off without even thinking about it.

While annoying and frustrating during the summer, this trend always makes for a happy springtime surprise of fitting into even my smallest size jeans.

So when I first found out I was having a winter baby, I decided that as far as weight-gain/loss goes, this could be a good thing. The inevitable would happen: I gain in the summer not only from my typical summer appetite, but a growing baby belly (that cute growing belly makes it a little bit ok, doesn't it?), and then towards the end of the pregnancy slow down on the "I'm gaining way too much weight during this pregnancy" and really only gain the recommended amount for my pre-pregnancy height and weight. And then once the baby is born (in the heart of winter) more easily take it all off. Sounds like a pretty good little plan, doesn't it?

(Of course, I'm really trying hard to curtail the cravings for sweets and snacks and to keep myself healthy this summer. Just so you know. And of course I don't plan on starving myself come fall or winter. At all. But I know it will be easier to not overeat. That's always nice.)

Anyhow, I thought you would all like to know that so far things are going according to plan. I am definitely gaining some, ahem, "baby weight" during these hot summer months. And I am definitely looking forward to not craving food so often. Soon.

And in the meantime my belly is rounding itself out nicely, don't you think?? (ok so maybe this picture does not do the belly justice. I promise it's out there nice and prominent.)


I am 23 weeks today (which according to babycenter means the little lady is at least 1 pound and a good 11 inches long!).

6 comments:

Shannon said...

You look so cute! I generally gain weight in the winter because I bake all the time and feel less motivated to go out and exercise. In the summer I walk more, play at the park more, eat more salads and variety of fruits, and swim more.

I have not gained a single pound yet this pregnancy, but I'm sure I will make up for it when baking season begins again. :) I love that we are due at the same time. Our baby girls are a whole 1 pound! I love feeling her kick and wiggle around these days too. So fun.

Tasha said...

You are one cute pregnant Momma! I love it. I wish I could see you every single day cute and pregnant. Keep posting pictures from time to time. It makes me happy.

BWei said...

You look beautiful as always, Carly Jane. One thing I have always admired about you is how confident and happy you seem in your own skin--that struck me even during our freshman year! I hope I can grow up and be a little more like you :-). And I love the little lady projects!

Cansas said...

You are looking amazing! I was thinking the last time I saw you that you look so good! It seems backwards to me that you eat in the Summer and not the winter. That's awesome! I'm always scrambling to lose weight when Spring hits because I've hidden it under my bulky sweaters and coats. UGH!

jackster said...

I love the little belly! You really do look great. I'm jealous of anyone that doesn't put it on in the face like I did :) I hope you guys are enjoying your break!

Cameron, Katie & Jack Hunter said...

You're belly is very cute and I can't wait to see what your little one will look like. Raymond is pretty darn cute, so I'm thinking those good genes will be in your little girl as well. I'm sure glad that I've gotten to know you better over the past few months. You are just great!