I love that Raymond is named after his Great Grandpa Raymond (Johan) Christiansen. I love that there is already a picture of Grandpa Raymond in his room. I hope his whole life long we (as in Jeremy, since I never met Grandpa Raymond) will tell him stories about his namesake. I hope it helps to instill a love for his ancestors--that little Raymond's heart will turn to his fathers, so to speak. And that he will have some of the characteristics that make all the Christiansen children talk fondly of their gandpa.
So as one of our Summer Break activities we planned to visit Grandpa Raymond's grave (and Grandma's, as they are side by side). Yesterday, after a very fun picnic in the park, we decided to head out to the Enoch cemetery where Grandma and Grandpa Christiansen are buried and to see a little bit of the town where they spent their whole married lives.
Unbeknownst to us, it was Grandpa's birthday. He would have been 97 yesterday. Raymond enjoyed leaving flowers. Jeremy joked about how Grandpa had hands like a compass. And Grandma loved Fiddler on the Roof just like we do.
It was a lovely afternoon.

4 comments:
I love that you have the picture of him by the grave site, and how neat it was on his actual birthday.
What a fun picture! So very, very cute!
That's a sweet picture at the gravesite. I'm sure grandpa Raymond was smiling down on you guys!
came over via tasha's blog.
the meanings of names are so important to me too.
my daughter, josefine, is named after my g-ma who raised me.
did you know that raymond means "counselor, adviser, protector."
what a great name.
how sweet that you visited on g-pa's birthday. tht must have been a delightful surprise.
Post a Comment