Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Facebook

When I was planning my move from Provo (aka college) to Blanding (aka first year teaching), I had a lot of friends and coworkers asking me if I had a facebook page or would be starting one. This was a whopping three years ago when the social networking world was just starting to get big. I knew what facebook was, but by no means was everyone doing it (yet).

I made the conscious decision to start a blog instead of a facebook page.

And thus blandingadventures was born (it's been three years, folks!). I've never looked back with regret on that decision. And I've held firm. I still don't do facebook.

Now I'm not here to say that facebook is evil or wrong or bad. By any means! But it's not for me. I still have no desire to do facebook. (As if blogging wasn't time consuming enough. Let's be honest.)

There are times, I admit, when I'll think back fondly on a high school or college friend and wonder where they are in life, what they are up to. And then, with a jerk, it'll dawn on me that I probably could know if I looked for them on facebook. And occasionally I've used someone else's account to do just that. But for the most part, I let it alone.

I'm ok with letting some people stay and tender, fond memories from my past. I don't feel the need to know what the latest thing written on their wall was.

I've been thinking a lot about why I feel this way. Because pretty much I think I'm an anomaly of society right now. Nothing is more "in" then having a bazillion friends on facebook. Knowing the minute details of their lives. So why don't I jump on the bandwagon? Why don't I want to?

I'm not sure. But the whole idea of it all overwhelms me. Too many people. Too much time. Too many advertisements on the sides. Too many details. Too much of an obligation to keep track. And (don't judge) I think the set up is too confusing. I'll pass.

I like life being a little more on the simpler side.

So, perhaps, I am a freak of nature. But I'll stick to blogging. And if I knew you once upon a time, don't take offense that you can't find me in facebook. But my blog isn't private (and hopefully won't ever be), so feel free to stop in and say hello. We can still be friends. I promise.

7 comments:

Tianna said...

I have a facebook page. I sometimes wonder if I should just delete it. I mean, I rarely ever use it. But then I remember that social aspect. That I can use it to find people. So whenever I have a need to contact someone I have no clue how to find, I use facebook. Most of the time, it works.

So, I continue to rarely check it. I don't keep up on everyone's walls. I don't play (er… get addicted by) the silly games it offers. Rather I just sent it up to email me whenever someone writes on my wall, sends me a message, or has a friend request. And when I get those emails, I visit just long enough to reply or accept. So I keep it. Even though sometimes I wonder why.

I don't think you should feel bad at all for not getting Facebook. [shrug] It's just another internet distraction. (Albeit, one that is legitimately helpful at times.)

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

Good for you! I WISH I didn't care so much about FB. It seriously wastes so much time, but I'll admit, I'm addicted to it! The worst part is, is that i don't mind my addiction!

Amy said...

Hey! me too, and all this time I thought I was alone. It's nice to know I'm not and that someone else sees facebook in a similar light. ;)

Matthew and Lindsey said...

I am in the same boat. I found out about facebook like 5 years ago and never got one. I figured I already spent way too much time surfing the internet or reading blogs to add one more time consuming thing to my life. One page internet page that details the events of my life is enough for me-besides what are we really missing out on? I figure if we really wanted to keep in touch with those people then we already would have by now. Thanks for posting

Whitney and Blake said...

I have a Facebook and it is overrated :) don't worry about not having one because blogging is just as great if not better!

Kathryn Lewis said...

Hey, I think you are great! I love your honesty about the whole thing. I have an account but I almost never get on. I keep it to curb curiosity about old friends once in a blue moon too. I think a blog is so much more fun and easy to do. Blogging does take time but I think it is so much better than posting blurps about what you think on your "wall". And you're right, the other junk that is filtering into Facebook is not good. Some of the pictures people post are down right nasty. Stick with your blandingadventures. We all love reading it!!

Bart said...

I use facebook as a resource more than anything. But I can definitely see it from an it's-too-busy-and-crowded-and-time-consuming perspective. It could be, especially if you got into all the applications. Not a fan of all the extras. Just want to be able to make a few comments here and there, see a few photos, share a few photos, be able to contact people and look up a birthday here or there. That's all. :)