Thursday, May 5, 2011

The BIG six

Well hi there. I tell you, this packing business is serious. And the cleaning, well, it has begun (and somehow will end by Saturday morning, don't ask me how).  Really and truly it all isn't so bad. It's the two active kiddos that want to be played with and held incessantly that makes it all so difficult. Good thing Jeremy's parents just drove into town. Debbie is on Ginny-holding duty all day tomorrow. No complaining allowed.

Well, that was a lengthy tangent because this post is NOT about packing or cleaning or moving. It's about the fact that today is Cinco de Mayo, also known as the day I came home from my mission SIX years ago.

You read that right. SIX!

I think I'm as shocked as you are. Except that at the same time, that mission feels like it happened a lifetime ago. Part of me really can't believe it's only six years ago. While the other part marvels that it was the equivalent of four missions ago (that's a year and half times four, in case you were confused). How did that happen?

If I had a scanner I would add some of my favorite mission pictures to this post (I can even still see the box I packed them in). But alas. Nothing is happier than blue skies and banana and mango trees in the background. Plus really and truly I have never been (and will hopefully never be again) so tan in my life as I was for the year and half I lived in Honduras. You should see it.

I had full intentions of writing a nostalgic post about that glorious time in my life. And the many many things I have learned in the past six years since then. But shoot, I tell you what, I am plum too tired to think that hard. All I can manage at the moment is this endless rambling. My appologies.

So I'll end with a happy Cinco de Mayo to you. And a happy six year anniversary to me.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Every time I have a student talk to me about their brother going on a mission for the LDS I think of you. It warms my heart to think of you teaching and sharing your faith with others. I am shocked that it was 6 years ago!

Shannon said...

Wow. Happy mission anniversary! It's amazing how the years slip by so quickly. :) Glad you are getting reinforcements to help with kid duty tomorrow!

dntbaker said...

i was just thinking how my 6 years is coming up, and then i was thinking about when you left. you were such a great missionary and i was so lucky to live in the same house as you for your last 6 weeks! My brother gets home May 19th...Loco right?!

Mal said...

Funny, my anniversary was yesterday and we have been married for six years :) Cinco de Mayo is a good day I guess! Happy six years to you!

Emma said...

It is amazing what happens in a short amount of time. Have a happy day!

Tasha said...

That is amazing. 6 years? Really? And this June is 8 years of being married for me? Seriously, is someone playing tricks on us? I sure do love you sister. Right now you are done packing, moving, and all the other stressful jazz. I Hope instead you are enjoying some nice sunshine with your cute kids and wishing you were at my house (just kidding...kind of...) I really hope this entire week is stress free and happy. Love you