Thursday, October 25, 2012

Transitions

I remember a while back reading a post somewhere (where?) in which the writer was asking (and commenters were responding) what the hardest transitions was: going from zero to one child, from one child to two, two to three and so on.

It was a revelatory moment for me. At the time I only had two. But I realized that it was immeasurably harder for me to go from zero to one. Something that had never occurred to me before. Not that I didn't want that first baby (oh how I wanted that baby!). But it was a big transition. I was fresh married (another big transition), in a fairly new place, lacking horribly in the friend department, and walking away from being in school or teaching school. And Raymond was somewhat cholicy.  Don't get me wrong, I had no doubts or second thoughts about the stay-at-home bit, no qualms about starting a family, and nothing else whatsoever that I wanted to be doing with my time and talents.

But for whatever reason it was a rough transition. Does any first time mom know what they are doing? My heart goes out to first time moms. Man. It's rough.

Baby #2 was so much easier. So. Much.

And let me tell you, despite all my fears, worries, and apprehensions (three kids three and under!), Baby #3 has been hands down the smoothest transition yet.

I have absolutely no idea if it's just that Rex is the best baby on the planet (for which I give daily thanks). Or if I've finally learned something about how to swaddle a baby properly (I haven't). Or if living in a space big enough to breath in has eased emotional strain (heavens, yes). I don't know.

But I feel like despite the serious chaos that three, three and under creates, I am in the happiest, stablest place I've been in a while.Not that I wasn't happy before. It's just that I'm happier now than I realized I could be.

It wish that that meant I don't lose my temper (I hate it when I lose my temper... but somehow it still happens). Or that I've given up being annoyed with too much mess (I love everything in it's place. But it's nigh unto impossible to attain. Or maintain.). Or that I'm ok with the fact that my kids yell at me (and each other) and seem to have few qualms about talking back.

But I feel like we are making progress (toddler steps). Who knew adding another baby to the mix would only make things better? Heavenly Father, obviously.

I am happy to say that this has, indeed, been a smooth transition. The best yet.

(Rex, aka the best baby on the planet)

6 comments:

Emma said...

I am thrilled it has been a smooth transition for you. Baby 3 kept me calm. Just holding that little one was soothing. I have to agree going from no children to one was the hardest for me. I felt I had lost all independence.
FYI baby #4 will be joining the Enszers in May. I hope 3 to 4 is a smooth transition. I just pray for another happy baby.

Lucy said...

That's the best news-- I was preparing for the worst with this next little baby being born, but it sounds like it just gets better. Yay! I'm so happy you have such a sweet little 3rd child to bless your life!

Shannon said...

That's wonderful! I'm so glad that it's going well for you and that you are happy. It makes everything easier. :)

So far zero to one was the hardest for me. I really struggled and felt a lot of guilt because of it. I wanted to be a mom so it should have all been snuggles and roses right? Not so. One to two was easy. Two to three was extremely difficult and overwhelming for me. Three to four has been (so far) just fine. We all love Beckett and he's such an easy baby (hallelujah)!

Brynn said...

1 to 2 was hardest for me, but I think that was from other life circumstances: some family issues, work issues, and we got called into the Spanish branch when my 2nd was 6 months old. Plus, she wouldn't take a bottle, not even with breast milk. I'm a little worried about this next transition, again, because of outside issues. We'll just pray, put on our big girl panties, and deal. And there'll be a cute baby, so that'll be the perk. :)

PS - Loved your paragraph with losing temper, talking back, etc. I could have written that one myself.

Tasha said...

It is funny how for each of us a different child brings a different transition. Zero to 1 was not that hard, but let me just say each one I added got harder and harder. I love what Brynn said because for me going from 2-3 was by FAR the hardest for me, but I think that was mostly because of a lot of other circumstances, being depressed and I really think I had post pardom with him. Because, he was BY FAR my easiest baby too. Somehow I feel like adding this 4th will be much easier because well, I am just use to chaos. Lets hope I am right...haha. I love that this one has been so easy for you and that you are loving it to much. Happiness. Love you!

Janice Richardson said...

For me 0 to 1 was the hardest too! Now that I'm in the mommy groove #2 and #3 were smoother. But my mother in law says her 8th (of 12) was the hardest...so we'll see in the future! :)

Thanks for your comment on my blog about being positive with our boys. It helps to feel like I'm not alone in this struggle and that together we'll strive to be the best moms that our kids need!