Thursday, January 24, 2008

Anne



"And people laugh at me because I use big words. But if you have big ideas you have to use big words to express them, haven't you?"
Anne of Green Gables

"For a moment, Anne's heart fluttered queerly and for the first time her eyes faltered under Gilbert's gaze and a rosy flush stained the paleness of her face. It was as if a veil that had hung before her inner consciousness had been lifted, giving to her view a revelation of unsuspected feelings and realities.
"Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one's life with pomp and blare, like a gay knight riding down; perhaps it crept to one's side like an old friend through quiet ways; perhaps it revealed itself in seeming prose, until some sudden shaft of illumination flung athwart it's pages betrayed the rhythn and the music; perhaps... perhaps... love unfolded naturally out of a beautiful friendship, as a golden-hearted rose slipping from its green sheath.

"Then the veil dropped again; but the Anne who walked up the dark lane was not quite the same Anne who had driven gaily down it the evening before. The page of girlhood had been turned, as by an unseen finger, and the page of womanhood was before her with all its charm and mystery, its pain and gladness."
Anne of Avonlea

" Gilbert drew her close to him and kissed her. They then walked home together in the dusk, crowned king and queen in the bridal realms of love, along winding paths fringed with the sweetest flowers that ever bloomed, and over haunted meadows where winds of hope and memory blew."
Anne of the Island

"'But there is no danger of your being kidnapped, Elizabeth.'
'The Woman said there was if I went anywhere alone ot talked to strange persons. But you're not a strange person, are you, Miss Shirley?'
'No, darling. We've always known each other in Tomorrow,' I said.
Anne of Windy Poplars



One of my favorite Blandingites confided in me recently that one of my dear students said (and I quote): " She is just like Anne of Green Gables; she loves us so much we just can't be bad for her!" Well, if you know me much, you know that I LOVE ANNE and there is no greater compliment I could ever have been given. In honor that compliment, I have been reading the Anne books (I am in Windy Poplars) in order to better live up to the ideal--and am loving every second of it. I tell you what, these books get better and better every time. I have included some favorite quotes for your enjoyment. Don't be surprised if more follow...

10 comments:

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

that IS the best compliment! I LOVE Anne...my all time favorite books! Anne of the Island is my FAVORITE, with Anne's House of Dreams in 2nd. Ah....the last couple pages of "Island," where Anne and Gilbert are in Hester Gray's garden, is probably my favorite few pages out of any book! SO perfect, I love Gilbert and Anne!!!!!!

Carly said...

Who doesn't?? They are so perfect in every way! I have always loved Anne of Avonlea and Anne of Windy Poplars--perhaps it is because they are her teaching books and I have always been a teacher at heart :).

It is taking serious restraint to not call everyone "dear" right now...

Tasha said...

I love you my dear! I too am a complete Anne fan (as you well know). Thank you for those fabulous quotes. Please keep them coming. She just says things so perfectly. I think the first quote is a "Carly" quote. It is so you! I just love that a student of yours compared you to Anne! love love LOVE IT!!! Keep enjoying those books. I think you are going to get me hooked on them very very soon!

Jamie C. said...

I can remember my mom begging us to watch anne of green gables, and we refused and refused until finally we did and I LOVED it! Everytime one of my girls sees their reflections I tell them that that is Katie...now that I think about it, that's maybe not the best idea, but I loved Katie! :)
When we were poor students and didn't have cable one Sunday afternoon it was on PBS and I forced JOe to watch it with me and don't tell anyone, but he really liked it too. But really, who doesn't? I'll have to read the books, I never have. Thanks for the idea, I'm off to go request them form the library!

Mary Powell said...

Carly! I love your stinkin guts too!! Kinda graphic way to express love... but it works! I love anne of green gables too! Once we all stayed up all night watching all of the series on video. David wont admit this to this day, but, he stayed up with us, enjoying the drama just as much as us girls. Dont tell though, he might be embarrased. Love you carly!!! Mary Powell

Emma said...

Carly that is so sweet what your student said. I miss your positive personality. I love Anne but it has been so long since I read them. I will have to do that soon.

joyous said...

That is the sweetest complement!! I have just been rereading them too. I just finished Anne of the Island and am feeling so satisfied that Anne and Gilbert are finally together at last. It has been SOO long since I read them that there was a lot that I had actually forgotten. I can't wait for number 4!!

Holly Moore said...

I totally see it! You are one of the greatest people I know, and Anne is one of the greatest heroines! Yeay for the person who complimented you, they were dead on. You are wonderful!

Shannon said...

Such amazing stories and wonderful writing. I actually have never read the entire series. I think I will have to start working on that. It does make me want to re-watch the first couple movies.

Jaime said...

Carly you're the best! What a grand compliment. Anne will always be one of my favorites!