Utah (and other places??) has a program called Upward Bound, organized to encourage and prepared high school students who will be first generation college students. Every summer they spend a month in specialized classes at the college and high school level, live in the dorms, and end with a week-long trip (this year to San Antonio). From everything I hear, it is a great program.
About a month ago I was assigned to help clean our chapel on a Saturday. Low a behold, a member of my ward who I had never met was also there cleaning (I don't remember his name! Isn't that terrible?) and we started talking. He is a retired San Juan High art teacher, now working for the College of Eastern Utah extension here in Blanding, and is in charge of our local Upward Bound program. I told him I had heard great things about the program and would love to become involved. He indicated the possibility of it, due to their Literature teacher having a baby this winter.
Well, I didn't think of it much after that. But then on Wednesday, he came and found me in my classroom after school and offered me the position! It will be 4 weeks starting the last week in May. I will have three literature classes (of 2-10 students each) and a Spanish class in the afternoon (so fun!). From what I understand, the Literature classes are really open. He had told me--that Saturday we were cleaning--that I could choose what we read and they would buy the books for the kids. Meaning: TOTAL FREEDOM. Can you believe that?? Anyhow, years ago I read an article in the English Journal about an American Literature class model that I have since wanted to make a reality. Since it is literature based, I want to try it with these classes. If it works, I could organize all my classes next year after that model (dream come true!).
From what I understand, it pays pretty well (in addition to my regular teacher salary). And, since school in CA doesn't get out until the end of June anyway, I might as well keep working too. He also wanted me to get my transcripts and resume over to the college so I could possibly teach adjunct classes next year if there is no one with a Masters available to teach a required class. Kind of crazy to think I could be teaching college classes. I'm not sure I'm ready for that, but it's fun to know it's possible.
So anyhow, I just wanted to share my exciting news with all of you!
15 comments:
That is so so so SOOOO exciting!! Seriously, so exciting!! How fun to do the 4 week course of freedom to teach what you want and then even a possibility to teach in college! This is quite the experience you are getting there in Blanding. Think what your resume will look like when you are done. Fabulous . . .totally fabulous!
This post tells me we have not talked in much too long though!
PS And look at the blessings you get from helping to clean the chapel too!
Oh my gosh!! I can totally see you teaching a college level course! You'd be amazing!! Keep me posted on that one, you will be great teaching the literature class you are planing. I wish I could attend!
YAY! What a great opportunity! It sounds amazing. I hope everything works out. Weird how things come about through little seemingly insignificant conversations. Congrats!
That is really exciting. Yet another "Blanding Adventure".
Pretty cool! His name is Tony Wojick (pronounced Wojak).
Thanks Kd. I love that you read by blog :). And I love living in Blanding with wonderful people like YOU! See you tomorrow in Primary...
Yeah! Those are some fun opportunities coming your way! I hope you enjoy the summer class. When does your school get out, end of May?
Congratulations Carly! That is so cool!
That's fantastic! Congratulations. I had a friend who grew up in Utah and did Upward Bound. She got so much out of it.
how exciting, carly!!
That's awesome Carly. Smart and good looking....you have it all. :)
Carly, I love reading your blog. Your love for literature has me wondering, are you a member of the GoodReads website? If you are, then I want to hear about your recommendations. If not, then you should join. Anyway, congratulations on the new program. I'm sure you will LOVE it. Keep us all posted on how it goes.
Sarah: I just recently became a goodreads member... my email is
carlyjane35@gmail.com
I'm still trying to figure it out, but if you can find me, add me as a friend! I love reading YOUR blog too!
Sara: you are so funny--make me laugh out loud!
booklady: thanks for finding me--I like your blog too :)
Joy: We get out May 23rd. Can't complain about that!
Emma: the adventures just don't stop coming! As people around here say: Blanding is a magical place :)
Holly: I wish you were in my class too! What fun we would have!
Tasha: I can't wait to talk to you TOMORROW on YOUR BIRTHDAY! I love your stinkin' guts.
ALL: Thanks for your added excitement! I will surely keep you posted, do not fear :)
Congrats! That sounds really cool! And hurrah for getting to plan your own curriculum. That's the only thing that got me through my blasted Teacher Work Sample--getting to engineer my own mini-curriculum!
Post a Comment