Sunday, March 30, 2008

Starlit Paradise--Prom 2008

Well, let me just tell you, this was the dang weirdest prom I have ever been to (or heard of) in my life! I'll start off by saying I'm really glad I was there and I actually had a lot of fun :). I bought a new skirt and sweater for the occasion--new clothes are always fun (shout out to my mamacita for going shopping with me!). The music was pretty good (not always the most feasible dancing music, but pretty good). The food was great, there were TONS of modest dresses (I was so proud), everyone looked good and seemed to be having a good time, and I really did have fun "socializing" as Mr. Lacy instructed me to.

I arrived right on time. Pretty much there were a bunch of chaperone's and maybe three couples at the time. I actually didn't like "hanging out" with the chaperone's so just took a seat, waiting for the party to get started. I don't know how many of you know that I LOVE TO DANCE. Yep. Those weekly stake dances in high school really did something to me. I LOVE it. And, if I say so myself, I'm not half bad. So there I was with hardly any prom attendees and a wide open dance floor. I'm not going to lie, I was tempted. But, so early in the night, I couldn't expose my inner secret and "bust a move." The timing wasn't right.

Slowly gussied girls and tuxedoed boys started coming in. And standing in the dance floor. Or worse, sitting on the chairs lining the walls. No one was dancing--I was mystified. I started making the rounds--telling the girls they looked beautiful, the guys they looked sharp, trying to encourage them to dance. It worked with Jill and Dane. They actually didn't need much prodding. They went out alone--and they stayed out there alone. Get this: no one joined them. Weird. I honestly didn't know what to make of it.

And then it got weirder. Not only did more bright, shiny, and sparkley partners keep coming, but so did the PARENTS. Apparently it is the "thing" in small southern Utah towns for Prom to be a family event. I'm not joking. I think there were equal numbers of younger siblings, parents, and grandparents as there were high schoolers. The parents ate the food and sat around watching their youngin's not dancing. They really weren't dancing. The music was playing and they were in the middle of the floor--and occasionally someone would sway to the beat--but not real, honest-to-goodness dancing. More would come out for the slow songs--you know, doing the sway. I was starting to get annoyed. I staked myself by the refreshment table and started threatening people:

Me: Hey, Michael. You look sharp. Are you having fun? Why aren't you dancing?"
Michael: "I did dance once.
Me: Slow songs don't really count. If you don't get out there, I WILL.
Michael: (looking surprised) Uh, if you dance, I will. But really, guys can't dance. It's too embarrassing. The girls can dance if they want. I only do slow songs.
Me: excuse me??

I couldn't handle it. Honestly. More of them would dance for a slow song, but it still was pretty sparse. Finally, after a better danced slow song, as everyone started heading back for their chairs, I skipped my way out to the middle of the floor, calling out, "Hey, where do you think you're going? Get back out here and dance!" And I gave it all I got--spinning and hip-shaking, and well, dancing. They crowded around and cheered "Go Ms. T!" and joined in a little bit (I think they just don't know how to shake-shake it. So sad). I started right in the middle of the floor, but found once I got them dancing, I needed to work way outward to get the awkward stragglers on the fridges. I even danced over to a row of sitters and, while still giving it all I had, egged them on: "You goina' let the teacher show you up? Come, show me what you've got!" Remember, the dance floor was lined with parents. But I did everything I could to pull those kids out there. Amid laughing, whistling, cheering, and dancing, I tried to liven that dance up!

I think it worked a little bit. The music was pre-tracked, so the DJ didn't have much control over what came on next--which, of course, was another slow song, totally killing the momentum. In my opinion, there were WAY too many slow songs. And even songs that weren't slow songs they slow danced too. At 10:30 the juniors danced "prominad"--a choreographed partner dance. Parents took pictures. Then came the prom court and king and queen (all announced at prom--non of the all-week activities). After that it died down a bit. The parents started leaving (thank goodness) and the high schoolers danced more. I guess I would feel awkward dancing if the town was watching me too. Oh wait. The town was watching me. And I'm an outsider. And the "teacher." I sure am good at giving people something to talk about. Anyhow, the best dancing happened in the last half hour. I didn't get out there again (it was tempting). I really don't like just sitting and watching, however, so I started helping the moms in the kitchen (replenishing water, making up the sandwiches, cutting cheesecake). It was better than watching all those big swishy dresses be wasted on slow songs only.

Seriously, I think I need to devote a Friday class period to teaching these guys how to lose their self-consciousness and DANCE! Because, for real, I showed most of them up. And I'm the teacher!

The new outfit (and new handbag made just for the occasion!)

13 comments:

Kd Perkins said...

As a Blandingite, I am not offended in the least, our proms are REALLY wierd. Good for you for trying to make this years a little better!

Tasha said...

Okay, first of all you look BEAUTIFUL!!! Older guys you are totally missing out! Seriously, Carly, you look gorgious. Secondly, WHAT?????? I think I laughed through almost the whole thing. I love your stinkin guts more than I could ever say. I can't believe first, that parents and their kids show up. That is MORE than weird. Secondly, I can't believe no one was dancing either. So sad. Maybe they need to have church youth dances there (or do they already?). I loved loved LOVED hearing how you threatened them, and then went to the middle of the floor and started making them dance. I wish, oh I wish, I could have been there to witness it. At least a fly on the wall. You are such a crack up. But, I sure am glad you did! I am grateful each and every day that you are able to be teaching these students in Blanding. (Even if you do have to be so far away from me.) I can almost promise you that most of them will not be forgetting the years you taught them. They will remember you with fond memories (at least most of them), and hopefully be much much better because of you. I love you dearly! Thanks for making me laugh outloud by reading this. Really parents and no dancing???? No wonder they do lots of date stuff before it. What kind of a date is having your parents watch you?

Tasha said...

(posted by Brian).

Loved the post. Way to go Carly! You Rock!!! (no pun intended).

sara said...

Carly, after watching the complete Anne of Green Gable series (including the disc of Anne when she marries Gil but which is not as good as the first two movies) you are JUST like Anne! I love it. Seriously. I couldn't contain my laughter and complete amazement for you for getting out on that dance floor and getting those kids to dance. Anne Shirley would have definately done. I can't BELIEVE all those families were there. Craziness. You are exactly what Blanding needs. Love you mucho.

sarawhat said...

This is a cute picture of you. I have a random question... do you know Kelly Mcaleb or did you find her link off my blog? I noticed it on your link list.

Carly said...

Haha! I am glad you all find this as amusing as I do :). Thank you, thank you!

Sara (Powell)--I found her off your blog months and months ago. I was thinking (back then) that it might be Kelly King (which, of course, it wasn't) and loved her blog. I check her all the time. How do you know her??

Katy said...

Carly Jane--you make laugh! I have this seriously awesome mental picture of you bustin' a move on the dance floor. If we get to see movies in heaven I'm definitely requesting to see this scene. Too funny!!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

carly, this post made me miss dancing with you at stake dances!!!!

and to be honest, if my parents were at my prom, i probabl wouldnt dance either!

Carly said...

Just so everyone knows, I got the FUNNIEST comments today at school. Every class period had someone with something to say. I refused to be embarrassed. I just laughed and asked, "You didn't think I had it in me, did you?" They looked at me with awe and amazement. Isn't it funny what a little song will do?? I am still laughing at myself!

Emma said...

I can't believe they weren't dancing. You are so spunky! I love your outfit. I still can't get over how weird that would have been, no dancing and prom being a family affair. Weird!!!

Mal said...

Carly, you crack me up! It is all so true! I never knew it was so weird until my husband told me that no one else does it like that. But I have to say, I had a blast at my prom parents and all!
By the way- this is Mallory, Mr. Nielson's daughter.

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

no wonder none of those kids wanted to dance...they had their parents there watching them! that is THEE strangest thing I've ever heard! Utah is crazy!

Jaime said...

You go girl! I can't believe you did that, you're so awesome!