Friday, April 18, 2008

April by Marcia Masters

It's lemonade, it's lemonade, it's daisy.
It's a roller-skating, scissor-griding day;
It's a gingham-waisted, chocolate flavored, lazy,
With the children flower-scattered at their play.

It's the sun like watermelons,
And the sidewalks overlaid
With a glaze of yellow yellow
Like a jar of marmalade.

It's the mower gently mowing,
And the stars like startled glass,
While the mower keeps on going
Through a waterfall of grass.

Then the rich magenta evening
Like a sauce upon the walk,
And the porches softly swinging
With a hammockful of talk.

It's the hobo at the corner
With his lilac-sniffing gait,
And the shy departing thunder
Of the fast departing skate.

It's lemonade, it's lemonade, it's April!
A water sprinkler, puddle winking time,
When a boy who peddles slowly, with a smile remote and holy,
Sells you April chocolate flavored for a dime.


I have long loved this poem... and I love April! Here in Blanding there are little purple flowers popping up everywhere and blossoms on the trees. A delicious breeze won't stop blowing and the weekend is just minutes away. And for no good reason I can't stop smiling today. Happy spring!

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh, happy day for blossoms and breezy! We were liberally snowed on two days ago, but this afternoon the birds were whistling and Nathan and I were soaking up what we can get of spring before this everlasting winter catapaults into a sudden summertime. I'm glad Blanding is furnishing you with spring thoughts and motivating you to share lovely poetry. :)

joyous said...

Ummm, that poem made me hungry. I do miss seeing spring arrive after the bleak of winter. Enjoy your beautiful seasons!!

Tasha said...

Love that poem . . .and LOVE you!!! I am glad it is a happy day. YEAH FOR SPRING! It really is a fabulous season. Brian says it is his favorite :)

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

I am loving spring more than anything this year! Although here in AZ spring doesnt last long- we only get a few weeks of pretty-ness til it turns blazing and dry. Ugh, here comes summer!