
When I moved to Blanding, I went with all sorts of romantic ideals of escaping American consumerism to be a small-town school marm while settling myself into the land of the West. I was alone in the world and didn't know a soul where I was going. I was ready to establish my independence. I was eager to throw myself into teaching and anxious to establish myself amongst the good people of Blanding. Until I got there, however, I didn't know how good those Blanding people would be.
My first Sunday in the Blanding 6th Ward I was quickly friendshiped by Pam Hosler and next by Ann Bayles--wanting to know if I sang, which part I sang (could I do alto?), and whether or not I would be joining the ward choir (the answer to all three was yes... a fact which kicked off our friendship). The next night Bill, Ann, Andrea (their daughter), and Kiren (their grandson) showed up on my doorstep with a plate of chocolate covered rice krispy treats and an invitation to come and pick me up for the ward activity scheduled for that Thursday. And a week later Brother Bayles told me he had been assigned as my hometeacher, and would it be alright if he came by that afternoon.
Soon without fail Bill and Ann would come once a month and sit and visit with me as my home teachers. I don't know if they have any idea how much I looked forward to and treasured their visits. While I was making friends and acquaintances all over town, they were two of the only people to come and visit me in my home during my first six or seven months in Blanding. I loved my little haven of an apartment, my home, that I worked so hard to keep clean and orderly and uplifting. I wanted to share it with people, but wasn't quite outgoing enough to invite people over. I loved sharing my home with them and looked forward to their visit every month, simple as it was.
But not only did the Bayles' come into my little bit of sacred space, they invited me to theirs regularly. Almost once a month they would invite me over for their Sunday dinner--either at their house, or Ann's mother's--Sister Martineau. I quickly learned why Ann loves Thanksgiving so much as the regular Sunday fare at their house included yams, mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc. It felt so comfortable to kneel and participate in the family prayer before the meal, to join in the dinner table conversation.
My favorite dinner at the Bayles' was the Sunday they had all their kids home for the weekend. With a full house already, I was surprised at the invitation to join them. Oh, but I wouldn't have missed it. Quickly I was mixed in with the crowd and included in the family jokes and playful bantering. After dinner we sat around the living room piano and sang--just as I love to do with my mom and sisters at home. The afternoon was made only better as we all sat down to watch Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris. I was quickly won over by the charm and comedy and good Sunday afternoon entertainment. I loved that they could all quote along with Mrs. 'Arris--evidence that it was a family classic.
I did not, however, fall in love with the Bayles family because of their sincere kindness and gerosity towards me when I needed them most, but more so because of they are, in the truest sense of the term, kindred spirits. Ann and I share a love of old movies, musicals, music, and good books. It was from her that I learned about Daddy Long Legs by jean Webster (if you like Anne Shirley, it's a given you'll like Judy). But who could help liking Ann? She is a-bubble with life--full of optimism and compliments for everyone around her. Both Bill and Ann are unpretentious, quick to laughter (it did take me a few months to learn what a jokester Brother Bayles is... but I think I love him even more because it slow to unveil itself). They are quick to be kind, thoughtful, open and easy going, and uninvasive.
Brother Bayles was also a much wanted priesthood presence in my home. He was always more than willing to serve, to teach, to pray. One particular Sunday I felt lost and out of sorts. It was shortly after the deaths of both my grandfathers. I had traveled home for both funerals, but was still really struggling with their loss and with feeling so far away from family. I felt overwhelmed as a teacher and unsure how to build more good relationships. I wasn't yet dating Jeremy and I was felt lost with that aspect of my life as well. At the close of their visit, I asked Brother Bayles to give me a blessing. The council and comfort given in that simple blessing changed the months ahead of me in Blanding. He blessed me that as I shared my testimony and love of the gospel, my love for the community would grow, and their love for me would grow in turn. A month later I was asked to speak in Stake Conference. I witnessed this blessing come true. As I prepared and shared my testimony in that talk, my love for the people of Blanding multiplied, and afterward I almost immediately felt an increased love and acceptance from countless people in the community.
I am so grateful I had a home teacher who was willing and able to give me taste of the good people in Blanding. They are two of the many people I hope to be friends with always. I wonder sometimes if they know just how much I love them. Oh how I love them!
6 comments:
I am grateful they have been such an amazing influence in your life too. Don't you love when you find kindred spirits? It really is the best.
that is awesome to know good people like that!
I too love Bill and Ann. I think they are really special, great people. Great post.
I'm so glad that you had such wonderful people to watch out for you and make you feel so loved. We are lucky to have Kerry and Alison Bayles in our ward here. I can definitely see Kerry's dad being a big jokester. I'm sure they appreciate the tribute. If you don't mind I will pass along the link to Kerry to pass to his parents (just in case they aren't regulars on your blog).
PS-Good luck with the blessing this weekend! Wish we could be there!
What a blessing such good people are in our lives--and they probably will never truly understand how much they are! I loved your 4th of July kebabs, too--yummy! Raymond is such a cutie pie.
Hey Mrs. C! thats your title now! Im so glad i get to stay in touch with you because we are distant family now! That is awesome to hear your baby is doing so well. He is SO handsome! and I just wanted to let you know you have made the biggest influence in my life as a teacher! My first day of college here at UVU, the teacher was talking about naturalism and i was one of the few in the class who could give examples, time periods, and literature. It may have seemed like we where little brats a lot of the time, but we really did listen and respect you! You are the greatest teacher and i know a lot of my classmates agree. they often ask how you are. Thanks for everything and i hope to keep in touch!!
Post a Comment