No, I'm not going to disclose which ones, but let's just say they've been on my shelves for a few years. Both were books I thoroughly enjoyed reading too. Great story lines, gripping characters, thought provoking themes.
(The English teaching, book loving, anti-banning part of me has been fighting this for a long time. A very long time. It's been a deep rooted internal struggle.)
They weren't bad books per se (in fact I'm guessing if I told you the titles a good number of you would say, really?? What's wrong with that book?). But every time I've thought about one of my children pulling them off the shelf and diving in, I knew I wouldn't want him to. And every time I've thought about rereading them myself (I'm a chronic rereader, if you didn't know), I've thought... well, that one part, or that one word (that resurfaces throughout) Eh. I shouldn't.
So today, all of a sudden I just went to my beloved bookshelves and took them off. And then put them promptly in the trash without looking back.
I am typically so opposed to banning books. But after thinking long and hard about it, I've decided that my selves should not have "not until you're older" books on them.(Well, I know there are some really outstanding books out there that my little charges just won't get until they're older, no matter how young they try. I'm not really talking about those books). It's just that I feel like having a book on my shelf is, essentially, a stamp of approval. It means I not only would allow it to be read, but I encourage it. Hmmm. I don't think the world would end of one of my kids sought out these two books someday off a library shelf and chose to read them. But I'm not going to move the process along by putting them in easy reach, you know what I mean?
And you know, I'm really pretty choosey about my movies (as in I stick with old movies, it seems like), but I haven't always been as choosey with my books. I think I need to change that. And these two didn't make the cut.
There is a hopeful little gap on the shelves waiting for something wonderful to come and fill it's place.
9 comments:
I have been having a hard time going to the library and picking books off the shelf that are appropriate. I am finding that I have to do a little bit of research to find "clean" books. I am a little curious in the books you threw away. Thanks for your list of books on your blog. I have read a few you suggested.
Good for you Carly! Just for future reference and for Emma above, my friend has a great blog where she posts book reviews of "deliciously clean" books. I've found some amazing reads there.
http://homespunlight.blogspot.com/
Happy Reading!!!
If it's killing any of you to know what I threw out and why... I guess you can email me about it. It wasn't really the point of the post, but I would be happy to be more explicit in an email.
carlyjane35@gmail.com
PS I'm rereading Anne of Windy Poplars right now, and loving it oh so dearly. Hooray for fun books to read!
Good for you. I've been there. And those are tough choices. I too have felt the internal struggle more with books than with movies. Why are the movies so much more easily dismissed. Perhaps because they already have a rating system that almost gives us permission to classify them as inappropriate. I wonder what would happen if we put a rating system on books.
Thanks for the blog tip Joyous. I am fine not knowing the books, I was just curious. ;)
I don't see that and book banning as the same thing at ALL. Book banning says "I don't like this book/think it's appropriate/want my children to read it and so NO one should." Taking it off your own shelf? Totally just good parenting.
Hi, My name is Ashlee Raisor, you don't know me, but I follow your blog through my in-laws blog and I just have to tell you how much I LOVE IT! I was wondering if you could share all of your favorite sewing blogs or sites. You just make the cutest thing for your cute baby, and you seriously inspire to start sewing more. You are awesome! My e-mail is ashleeraisor@yahoo.com.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I would love if you would send me your article on Mother Eve.
As a side note....you are definately on my list of women I look up to:)
Post a Comment