Friday, May 28, 2010

Speechless

So a handful of you might have noticed that for the past two days I've posted something new, then deleted it by nightfall. Wrong voice? Bad timing? Too personal? I can't pinpoint what exactly was wrong about either post, but I didn't feel settled enough to leave them up for long (alas all you google-reader-users can still access them, so feel free to give your feedback if you so desire).

This blog, for me, is as much (or more) about the actual writing as it is about telling people what's going on in our lives. I want it to be original, interesting, reflective, open, and honest. I want it to be good writing (which, I know, is a hit and miss for me). I purposefully experiment with grammar, language, and imagery. I do short writing exercises (like the last post on Honduras that has now been at the top of the page for almost a week) in which I try to focus in on people or places. I'm guessing some of you find some of those types of posts a little boring, but I don't mind.

To appease the masses, I splash up occasional bouts of poor photography of my little fellow, but I cringe in the process.  Because in my mind, that's not what this blog is really about. If I'm going to do a post about Raymond, I would prefer it to be good writing about Raymond. Not a bunch of phone pictures. Alas, sometimes I fail on both accounts.

Anyhow, Long story short, I'm sort of in a writing funk this week.

I appreciate your patience.

4 comments:

joyous said...

Don't beat yourself up too much Carly Jane. I'm pretty sure those of us who follow your blog love to hear and see what you post regardless of your critique on it. :) That being said, I understand your desire to challenge yourself to be your best and hope you continue to do so. Good luck beating the "funk"!!

Tasha said...

I would have to say I loved the post you took off (but if that is what you want to do, you should do what you feel good about it.) They were written so beautifully and made me think through the whole thing. Often when I come to a blog with lots of writing I do not read it all. I just don't have time. But, yours....they just suck me right in. You WANT to keep reading. It goes quickly and often I even go back and reread them. It is the honest you and the truth is so many of us can relate to them or peices of them. I love your writing. I love all your different types of posts. Really, you are an amazing writer.

Whitney and Blake said...

I look forward to reading your posts. You are an amazing writer! Your posts are always so unique and interesting.

Matt and Lisa Gee said...

Carly Jane, I love that about you--the integrity with which you approach your writing and your desires to craft and create. I'm sorry I missed out on the two previous posts (toughest semester of law school right now...done in one week!) but I respect the editorial choice. :)

Love you muchisimo! Lisa