Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ready to Bust This Joint

Raymond has been waking up much closer to 6am of late (rather than his oh-so-late 6:30), and the routine has quickly become: get up, greet smiling, happy boy, change diaper, sit on the front steps and enjoy the only pleasant time of the whole stinkin-hot day.

6am folks. By 8am (at the very latest) the sun has come over the top of the house across the way and our apartment is a heat bath. I mean hot. Deathly hot. I want to die hot.

Ok, so I'm being melodramatic.

But let me just tell you it's hot. And our air conditioning units are only in the bedrooms (which does NOTHING for the living room or kitchen) and VERY expensive. Thus, we use fans. And let's be honest, they just blow the hot air into our faces. I can't decide if it's much better or not.

But there is a ray of hope on our horizon.

The sweet and refreshing mid-70s of Southern California. Where we will be by tomorrow night. Oh sweet California, we're coming!!  (Ok, and ALL my family... I'm excited to see you too!)

I'm even (call me crazy) looking forward to the trip because it means I'll be in an air-conditioned car the whole time. I've stooped that low. I just must not be made for 100 degree weather. Let me just say I have mentally crossed all the Arizona and Las Vegas Law schools off our list. Sorry folks.

I'm also looking forward to our drive so that I can stop worrying about what trip food to take. I just might have (I'm not kidding) lost sleep over this the last few days. Because, you see, we're on a tight food budget. And Jeremy is a big eat-while-driving driver. And it's a longish trip (7 hours without stops! The longest we've taken with Raymond yet). I have a meticulous menu planned that will hopefully keep us from buying neon gummy worms at gas stations and won't break the bank (I tell ya, I'm excited for the day those fall Pell Grants make it to the bank account and life isn't so stressful). Here's what I have planned:
  • batch of no-bake cookies (yum)
  • homemade wheat thins and sliced cheese  (I can muster the courage to turn on the oven)
  • smashed chickpea salad sandwiches on pitas
  • PB and J for RayJ
  • bag of (store bought) pretzels (Raymond's favorites)
  • a few yogurts for Jeremy and Raymond (yogurt makes me gag)
  • bananas
  • (maybe) some homemade chewy soft pretzels with cream cheese
  • some leftover sunflower seeds from the last trip
  • jolly ranchers (the trick to keeping me awake)
  • bag of red vines (maybe) as they are a classic for road trips
I'm hoping I have all our bases covered with sweet, salty, filling, and munchy. Any other suggestions that fit the criteria of cheap, easy, and (semi) healthy?? What do you take to munch on road trips??

9 comments:

Tasha said...

It is sounding good to me! I had to smile about the "being in the car to get the air conditioning" thing...only because I totally do that too! When it is so hot here and we go somewhere I just sit basking in the beauty of the car air conditioning. Seriously. I am just glad that you get to come and get BEAUTIFUL weather at M&D's. Cannot WAAAAAIT to see you guys!! We are counting down the hours at our house now. Tanner wants it to be TODAY! not tomorrow. We love you. I think you trip food sounds good. We usually do very similar things. (with added granola bars. A favorite for everyone)

dntbaker said...

i do not blame you one bit for crossing LV and Az off your school list. We are soo ready to leave Arizona, no joke. It has been 110+ everyday for the last 2 weeks. Today is the first day it rained and its heaven I tell ya!
sounds like you have some great road trip snacks..have fun with your family:)

Shannon said...

Blah to the heat! It has been hot here too, although not 100 every day. Our house isn't air conditioned and fans just don't cut it when it's that hot. I'm sure you will enjoy the CA weather!

Ooh your road trip food sounds yummy! I usually go for convenience for road trips, which isn't generally very budget friendly. Last trip I brought a box of baggies and that helped with cost because I could just bring a box of crackers or cookies or whatever and the kids could still have a portion in their hands. My favorite car snack is to suck on M&M's. For this weekend I am going to try the pretzel M&M's. They sound so yummy. Davin will eat popcorn the entire trip and it's cheap, so we do that too. I hope your drive goes well!!!

Anonymous said...

I totally hear ya on the strict food budget until the Pell grants arrive! We are in the very same boat.

We like to eat granola bars on road trips. Yummy and filling. :) Have fun this weekend! I am so excited for all of you to get to see your brother. I love missionaries!!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

Teriyaki Beef Jerky is my all time favorite road trip treat! SO DELICIOUS!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

Teriyaki Beef Jerky is my all time favorite road trip treat! SO DELICIOUS!

Deb said...

We always make Rice Krispie treats with Peanut Butter and Deviled eggs! Good on the go breakfast! We would always leave at 3 or 4 in the morning and then eat these when we would wake up and not have to stop until lunchtime!

Kelly said...

We make a thing called GORP. It's a girl scout thing from when I was really little. It's a yummy trail mix type item. We pour in - box of cherios, pretzels, raisins, penuts, and if we're feeling really sassy M&Ms. I bet it would be really tasty if you used honey/nut cherios.... mmmmmm. Have a safe trip!

Elaine said...

I'm in northern California and it is BLISTERING hot here. Lucky you for going down south!

clothed much, a modest fashion blog