Thursday, April 7, 2011

Speaking of things I enjoy doing

Growing up, Sara was the neat one. She liked to have all her things in their places, which made me scared to touch anything in her room. In comparison, I never really considered myself as neat or organized.

But I think in some respects, I always have been made after the same mold as Sara. As I think back on my childhood, I was pretty meticulous about putting my things away in their places too. My American Girl doll (Molly) had her special suitcase that I kept neatly under the bed. I always put books back on the shelf from exactly where I got them (and prided myself on knowing where every book in the house was). I have always hung my clothes in the closet facing the same way, organized by color or shirt type etc. I have never been one to leave my clothes strewn about the bedroom (shudder).

I think I have always been an organizer without realizing it.

And now, I accept the label wholeheartedly. I devise plans in the middle of the night for how I want to better organize and utilize our limited space. I truly find pleasure in rearranging, refitting, and cleaning out cupboards, closets, and living spaces. I find it wholly satisfying to fit everything into place just right.

Or maybe I'm just OCD?

Regardless, I tell you, since becoming a full-time stay at home-er, my mind is constantly reeling with plans to organize and reorganize. Jeremy will sometimes ask me in the morning, "What are you going to do today?" and a typical response is, "reorganize the vacuum closet."

A few weeks ago we needed to make some serious changes in our bedroom. On either side of our bed were desks that Raymond gloried in climbing onto from our bed. After writing in permanent marker all over the comforter (pen obtained from Jeremy's desk), I knew the set-up had to change. I think it took me two or three days to get it right.  I would sit in the rocking chair and work out plans in my head of where to put what.

It's almost like doing a puzzle. How I can I put things to make them easily accessible when they are needed (and out of Raymond's reach)? And then, when circumstances (ahem, Raymond's ability to reach) change, I actually enjoy going back to it, rethinking it.

I love having things streamlined, ordered, smooth, neat. And quite honestly, I love the process as much as the product.

(Don't get me wrong though, there is still plenty of room for improvement in this apartment; plenty of "clutter spots" that haven't been figured out yet!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need lessons from you and Sara. Outside of my home, such as church callings and school, I am super organized, but at home I am very unorganized. I don't knwo why I do that. I wish I was better at it.

Brynn said...

I could have written this post myself! Maybe it's the small living space, but I do the same thing all the time. I really went crazy with it when I was pregnant with Delia.

BWei said...

I know what you mean--it is so satisfying when everything has a place and you know where it is. Since moving I am still in the process of organizing and figuring out where everything goes. I hope there's an end in sight soon!

Tasha said...

Hmmm...I do not think I am like you and Sara. Organizing is not one of my strong suits. I do like a clean home...but do not look in my cupboards....organizing I am realizing is not a favorite thing for me and never has been. (My Kirsten doll, well, her clothes were always in the box, but probably not the most orderly in the box) And does not come easy. I instead sit and thinks of what project I can sew and create that will be just my product...I think and sceeme and rethink it. Too bad I think organziation would be a little more happy in my home :) Oh well :) I sure do love you Carly Jane.