Thursday, June 30, 2011

Well that's one thing to check off the list

We have housing!

Seriously, friends, the housing hunting we've been doing for the last two or three weeks has been a wee bit stressful. Our three main criteria have all the appearances of being doable:
  1. As close as stinkin possible to the law school (since we only have one car and the goal was for me to have it 100% of the (day) time, Jeremy thus needs to have a doable commute via trax or the bus. You'd be surprised how fast (er, slow) a 2 mile commute equals 20+ minutes on a bus)
  2. washer / dryer hookups (since, you know, we have two kids and do cloth diapers. There will be no dropping of quarters for our laundry for three years. No sir.)
  3. Cheap, cheap, cheapest. The goal was under $800. This turned our ideal of a three bedroom into a two. And my wishes for new carpets and updated appliances out the door. Alas. 
You'd be surprised how impossible this has seemed as we've looked and looked and looked. But somehow what we got fits all three criteria.
  1. According to google maps it is a three minute walk to the law school. I think it's closer than the nearest parking lot (seriously). This means Jeremy will be home for all three meals most days. And helping to get the kids to bed before running back to the library will not be stressful. Happiness.
  2. There are hook ups (albeit in a shared laundry room with the upstairs tenants (we are in a basement), we won't have to pay for it)
  3. It's cheaper than we hoped for. Ok so there isn't even a garbage disposal (not to mention a dishwasher) and we will have the carpets cleaned (if the management company doesn't do that automatically)... but the rent is so SO in our price range, that maybe life won't be so stressful.
See here for some pictures. Not so inviting looking in these (although the outside is darling)... but at least it's not cinderblock. And a slash or two of red will brighten it right up, I think.

HOORAY!

7 comments:

Tasha said...

I am happy your search is over and you found something so close to campus and for such an amazing price! I am sure you will turn it into a perfect home for you guys. Are your kids able to play in the yard? One step closer to law school. :)

Janssen said...

Yippee! Housing of any sort is ridiculously stressful, i think.

Kendra Goodrich said...

Glad you found a place and SOOOOO close! I think that would be my #1 thing and looks like you got it and I'm sure you will make whatever space your in beautiful!

Emma said...

Hooray, it looks like you have a yard. I can't wait to see it after you have decorated.

Jodianne said...

Hooray! I will have to drop in sometimes when I am waiting to pick Leif up from the U!

sara said...

I'm soooo happy you got the housing you wanted! The pictures wouldn't pull up but we'll have to see it in person once you're in:)

Cass said...

We lived in a house without a dishwasher or disposal once. I bought a portable dishwasher and it worked great. Then I found out after we left that it only cost $40 to put in a disposal- I wish I would've just done it!