Monday, June 13, 2011

The Birthday Boy

Well.

So Raymond turned two last week (Sunday, June 5th, to be exact). It was over and out a happy happy day.

We started out (early) with presents and and abundance of balloons (boon! He loves boons.) Raymond's room is right off the basement "living room" here at Jeremy's parent's house. So right as he walked out of his room he walked right into the festivities.

Raymond loves horses (horsies!), so we gave him an enormous horse coloring book (he also loves coloring), and the soccer ball on the floor. 

He also loves (LOVES) all things Sesame Street, most especially Elmo, related. So waiting for him was some Elmo juice (Elmo was on the front). Oh and he loves juice. Can you see how he's fiddling with his fingers while I open the juices for him.  What I love most about this picture, however is Ginny. She was a bit out of it still. Oh how I love that little face!

Yea. Mom got the juice open. He drank all four in about thirty minutes. You get to do those sort of things on your birthday.

My parents gave him toy dishes and food (that velcros together so you can cut it. So cool, and definitely a hit with the birthday boy).

We spent the morning before church playing with toys (bubbles also came from gma and gpa T. and were never ending fun). We had waffles (still a favorite) for breakfast.

After church we busted out the Elmo cupcakes.

Ok so they didn't turn out perfect. But not bad. The black icing was running at first (and I couldn't figure out why). The red frosting was really only dark pink. But they tasted good! And Raymond immediately knew they were Elmo.

We did blow out a #2 candle... but didn't get it on film. Sorry.

But they sure were tasty. I think he only ate one on his birthday... but all week long he ate "Elmo tate" and was happy happy boy. (Note: Raymond usually will have nothing to do with sitting in a high chair any more... but was willing to do anything we asked in order to get that Elmo cake.)

Since it was just us on his birthday (Jeremy's parents were out of town), it was pretty low key. We talked to the Torgerson crowd (my family) who were all together in Vegas for my nephew's blessing. And we drove all over Blanding to look at the horsies. Something Raymond loves to do.

We've taken quite a few family drives to look for horses in the last few weeks. We also know where to find piggies, sheep, a llama, and cows. Just in case horses aren't out and eating.

All in all, it was such a quiet, fun day. I'm pretty sure they sang to him in nursery. And we told Happy Birthday all day long.

A few fun facts about Raymond:
  • He loves TV (much to my disappointment). Elmo and Mickey Mouse make him most happy. (I pick Mickey Mouse if at all possible).
  • He loves all animals.
  • He loves people. He is so good for other people (like in nursery and this last Sunday when we spoke in church and had him sit with the neighbors). He's as much a ham as he ever was
  • He loves to talk. He will repeat (or try anyway) anything you ask him too. He seriously learns new words every day.
  • He loves his numbers. He can count (mostly on his own) up to about 14 (although he things 11 is 7 and will often go back to 8 after he says 11. It's pretty cute. We've got to get it on film).
  • He loves reading books still (even though that TV is so enticing). 
  • He loves peanut butter, eggs (eggies), hot dogs, strawberries, raisins, and yogurt (to name a few). And any kind of "treat" he can weasel out of us. He most definitely has a sweet tooth. He's pretty brave and will try most things (and like them! Like artichokes. What two year old likes artichokes?)
  • He loves to investigate "ouchies" on himself or anyone else. He'll remember where someone's ouchie is (even months later) and point and look at it as long as you'll let him.
  • He loves to be outside.
  • He knows how to throw a pretty good tantrum.
  • He still loves his blankets (all five or so of them) and will tote them all over the house.
Oh and seriously, he's adorable. I know I'm his mom and all, but he's a cute kid.

Happy Birthday, Raymond!

8 comments:

Janssen said...

You are such a sweet mom. I love reading about your darling children.

Kendra Goodrich said...

Man that boy is cute!!! We love Elmo over here too, but I actually prefer him to MM (Max's two favorites). You have no idea how much this post made me wish we were neighbors. I can only hope I suppose!

joyous said...

SO fun! I love how the little things make toddlers so happy: Elmo juice and balloons, what a great idea!! And your cupcakes were just perfect. A drive to look at horses sounds like a great day to me too. Happy belated birthday, Raymond!! :)

Shannon said...

SO fun!!! Happy birthday Raymond! Looks like a smashing success. :) I know Elmo is oh so annoying, but Weston loved him too, and I swear he learned his ABC's and counting faster than Davin because of it. I love that you can drive around and look at animals like that. So fun for kids!
PS-GREAT job with all those pictures. Loved them!

Anonymous said...

Raymonds the bomb. Will you come hang out some next year?

Chad

BWei said...

Love the cupcakes! And it is hard to believe that two years have already passed. Happy birthday to your cutie pie!

dntbaker said...

that is adorable! hey i heard that the elmo potty training books and movies are very effective, so with him already loving elmo when its time to potty train maybe he will do awesome with those books. its crazy how fast kids grow...i have to remind myself of that so that i put down the computer and really just enjoy them more. you are a great mom!

Emma said...

He is so cute Carly. I was just thinking that he would be having a birthday this month. Russell is starting to through tantrums, let the fun begin.