But today we had more successes than I imagined possible even yesterday. Today was a big day.
He went without me dragging him. FOUR TIMES. And he did #2. I tell you what, some ice cream was in order. I think maybe this might be happening for real. As in, I might someday not have to ever change another diaper for this boy (I still do a diaper at night). This feels like a life altering moment.
Forgive the melodrama. I'm just one excited mama!
(Sorry little buddy. Don't hate me for this picture! You love your unders so much though!)
Not that I'm even remotely any kind of expert... but for the record, here's what's been working for us:
- This blogpost was my starting board. So I didn't expect anything but accidents in the beginning... and that was what I got. He was a little slower than she said he would be (50/50 by day three? No sir), but once I started doing a few other things, it's started coming together.
- One of those other main things is I put in potty in the front room. At first I didn't want to do this because I wanted him to get used to having to go to the bathroom. But it quickly became a BIG fight to get him in there. Once I left it out by his toys (and the computer... I did do a lot of movies this week, sadly. But I was sick, so give me some slack), he was more willign to go and sit for as long as I made him/it was necessary.
- We did some time without anything from the waist down. For a while in the beginning he felt like his underwear were diapers (and he kept calling them that... which was frustrating). When there wasn't anythign there he was more more prone to let me put him on the potty without a fight
- I let him play with toys, read books, sing songs, count while on teh potty. I did anythign to keep him there. Even watch a movie while he sat. Eventually (days later) he figured out how to let it out on the potty.
- The incentive to go was BIG for him. Itotally should have done something smaller, but after days of little success, I pulled out the big guns. If he went he got ice cream (a really small bowl) or a pop cycle. I should have done a few skittles! But he would sit and sit and sit for that ice cream.
- The Elmo Potty movie saved our skins. Firstly because he loves Elmo.. and after watching it a few times in a row... he started commenting back with me about what they were saying and he was getting it. I would pause it and ask him, "what did Grover just say?" or "What do you do after you go potty?" I feel like this made it click. Then when he went, I would say, "you went potty like Elmo! That's awesome!"
And basically it is awesome (as anyone who has ever potty trained can attest). Now cross your fingers I didn't just jinx this for tomorrow by posting about it today!

7 comments:
Thanks so much for posting this Carly! I still haven't done my almost three-year old yet because I'm waiting for the 1 year old to walk by herself (right now she walks everywhere but can't/won't do it without holding my hand). I forwarded your blog to my friend who has 3 year old twins and is scared to death of it, too.
Hooray hooray! Potty training is stressful for mommy and child, so I'm so happy you are seeing progress! That's awesome. Hope today goes just as well!
There is no melodrama about it...it's definitely life-altering!!!! Congrats! I know you're not done yet, but that's a lot of progress. Liz was the funniest. I gave her koolaid and put her on the potty in front of movies for two days. She didn't want to let it out without her diaper on. I remember her sitting ON THE POTTY wiggling, trying so hard not to let it out!! When it finally came bursting out, I saw the little light go on in her head! After that she was pretty good. But it was funny! Keep up the good work!!
My favorite thing about this is his hiking boots, underwear, and standing on the table. Kid's got nothing' but class!
-P
Yay for potty training. It's totally hard, it's totally all your work and very little of theirs, but it's totally worth it in the end! Keep up the hard work!
Potty training IS hard! After months of Maggie being potty trained she still has accidents (or decides to poop in her pull up when she's suppose to be in bed.) But we did the potty in the living room for a long time (it's now permanently in the bathroom and she actually started going in the big potty recently too). We also let her go without clothes on the bottom half and she would go all the time like that. But now we're finally FINALLY to where she can pull her underwear off and go to the potty all by herself. It definitly takes time and work on everyone's part. I hope it continues to go well!!
Yay!!! I dread Potty training. The truth is too, each child it TOTALLY different. What works for one will not work for the other. (Personality totally plays a factor in this.) Tanner was SO hard. I didn't even start him until after his 3 birthday. I pretty much did all of these things you talked about here with him and he eventually got the main concept, but was so preoccupied and didn't want to stop playing, so he had lots and lots of accidents for months on end. (And yes, the potty was in the living room for the first week or more) They were just here and there and what not, but it did get tiring. (At least 1 a day for a while) I just learned to carry underwear and pants in my purse for probably a year or more (along with a plastic bag). Then there was Brayden. Potty trained in one day at 2 1/2. He just "Got it" and was done. He rarely ever had an accident again and wore underwear straight to bed the next night (after begging me the first night and I said no). He was SO SIMPLE. So, there you go. I did give him treats still for about a week or two every time he went, but he was good to go. Chase... we have been doing the pre potty training stuff for a couple of months now. We tried probably 3 months ago and he was doing good and then he just DID NOT want to do it any more. And brought me diapers over and over again and told me No Underwear. But, we are trying to clear out our week and try this week. We shall see. Go you with Raymond. He is such a cutie in his unders. :) Go Raymond on being a big boy!
Post a Comment