Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Indian Ruins

I went today with a somewhat random (but very fun) group of people into the canyons just south of Blanding to see some Indian ruins. I am not going to lie, I love these little adventures. I love getting out and walking around and seeing new things. Today specifically, I loved the company and the great picnic lunch at the top. I loved the clay-like sand, the little pools and creeks of water, the looming rock. I loved the sunshine and the cool breeze, the climbing, and the rock-skipping. I loved seeing the tiny little houses built out of the rock itself and hidden beneath large overhangs to protect against the weather. I didn't take many pictures; these are all from the second set of ruins (at the very end of the trail). The trail was probably about 2-2.5 miles in and then we hiked up the slick rock, but couldn't get up to the actual ruins. Thank you to Kaiden for taking the last two pictures (I, sadly, am a terrible photographer!). Isn't it beautiful?





Doesn't this make you want to come and visit me?? Just think of all the fun adventures we could go on...

8 comments:

sara said...

I want to come and visit you!!! Yea for fun adventures. I'm glad you had fun and the pictures are great!

Mal said...

What Indian ruins are those? We are looking for some good ones to take my brother-in-law and I just haven't been to very many, even though I grew up here!

Janssen said...

How cool! Looks like a good time! Reminds me of Mesa Verde.

Carly said...

Malory: I think it was in Mule Canyon--the ruins are called the "house of fire" because one set (the ruins I didn't take pictures of) look like they are on fire when the sun hits them. I hope that helps!

Tasha said...

So so SOOO beautiful! I am glad you were able to get out and enjoy an afternoon outside with good company and beautiful scenery. And YES! I want to come. Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!

joyous said...

It's so pretty. I can't imagine living in something like that. But I love that it is so organic and part of the environment.

Carly said...

Tash--I CAN'T WAIT for you to come. I am on pins and needles of anticipation :). I love your guts!

Shannon said...

Very cool. Its so amazing that they could build homes out of solid rock. Looks like a fun adventure. We will have to visit sometime.