My latest genre of books has been of the WWII/Holocaust variety. I had a surprising amount just on my shelves:
Surprisingly enough, I had never read Night, despite it being on my "To Read" list (and my shelves) for quite some time. It is the memoir of a Polish Jew who is evacuated with his family and put in labor and concentration camps. Weisel does a beautiful job of pulling in the reader and making his experience come horrifyingly alive. It was sad to me, however, that his experience changed him from a fervent believer in God to a questioner.
Having read one holocaust book urged me to read a second. The Hidding Place is one of those books that gets quoted on occation in sacrament meeting and other such places. I had started it before, but did not get sucked in like I did this time. It is about a family--aging father and two unmarried daughters (in their 50s and 60s) in Denmark who become part of the underground railroad smuggling out Jews. And like Night, it is a true story. But such a contrast in how Corrie and Betsy (the sisters) handle the consequences of their actions compared to Weisel. I loved them from the beginning for their faith, determination, honesty, and goodness.
Much like The Hidding Place, In My Hands is about a resistance fighter rather than a Jew in a consentration camp. Irene Gut Opdyke was Polish and forced to work for the German Nazis who took over her country. Of all the books I read, this one was the most beautifully written. I loved the motifs, symbolism, and imagery.
I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree: a memoir of a Shindler's list surviver is about Laura Hillman's experience in labor and concentration camps before making it onto Schindler's list along with the Polish POW she had met and fallen in love with. While this book is not as beautifully or eloquently written as In My Hands, it is honest and real. Because my sister Sara knows the author, this story is horrifyingly real for me.
This is the first of my little series that is fiction. I read this book for the first time last year and loved it. I love the style, I love the frankness of the narrator (death), I love the characters, I love the imagery, I love the goodness in this story. This is about a make-shift German foster family who does not support Hitler in the middle of Nazi Germany. I was suprised my second time through how much language it had in it (although the vast majority is kept in German--which I don't speak--and doesn't seem to bother me as much as American swear words in print). I cried all the way through the end of this book again. When it was over, I wished there was more.
The Chosen is another book I have read before (many years ago) and remember loving. It is not as much about WWII--although it takes place during the war, only in America. It focuses on the friendship of an orthodox Hasidic Jew and a traditional Jew in New York. What I love about this book is the way it throws you in the middle of Jewish life and culture. And I love the depth and goodness of the characters. I wish I had the sequal, The Promise, but alas, I nor the SUU library seem to have it.
This is the only book left on my shelves in the WWII/holocaust genre. I started it... and I couldn't get into it (again). There something about Frankl's need to psyco-analyze the effect of the consentration camps that pushes me away. Not that I don't think what he's doing is valid, I just can't quite get pulled in yet. I feel kind of bad about it too, but what can you do?Reading all of these books has made me think a lot about a lot of things. I think WWII pulled the absolute best and worst out of humanity. It is horrifying how brutal and cruel some were, and enobling and enabling to realize how courageous, kind, and good others were. Such a dichotomy.
It has made me reflect on why there is such suffering and the role God plays in our lives. Despite the many who lost their faith and their God because of their experiences, there were so many others who reaffirmed theirs. I am sure that God is not dead despite the millions who were killed. And I know that it was not his will that so much suffering and injustice occured. I am confident that justice will be served in the end.
I am sad to see my collection of this genre come to an end. Does anyone have any more suggestions for me? I feel somewhat at a loss for what to read next...
9 comments:
I've read several of those--thanks for the recommendation of The Book Thief. Have you read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? It takes place right after WWII and is also historical fiction. It is written as a series of letters, and while it's a little slow to get into, I really enjoyed it.
Love The Hiding Place, The Book Thief, and The Chosen.
I would also highly recommend The Gurnsey Literary and PPPS. It was tremendously good.
The Devil's Arithmetic by Jan Yolen (I believe) is a children's lit fiction novel about passover and the camps. I really loved that book!
Of course there's always The Diary of Anne Frank, one of my personal favorites from my childhood.
what a great list. I love reading books about history. I needed some new ideas. I have one I just read(not about WWII). It is called, "Peace Like a River" by Lief Greene. It captured me at first and I was thrilled and enjoying it then the end, I am just not sure about.
Have you read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins? I really liked that one. It's fiction...but it's a fast read and sucks you in. I miss those nursing days of getting to sit and snuggle your baby for hours on end and read a book and have your hubby bring you toast and water...enjoy it! :)
I have read almost all of these books, Carly, and I too love the historical fiction/non-fiction genres, especially Holocaust era ones. They remind me of my blessings and of what I can do to remember that God loves all his children, despite our cruelty to one another.
I absolutely love The Chosen. I live 1 mile from Williamsburg, the area of Brooklyn where a majority of the orthodox Jews live. It is where this story takes place. Keenan and I rode our scooter through the area two Saturdays ago and it was absolutely amazing to see every person adorned in their traditional Shabbat clothing. All the little boys have earlocks, and men wear large chopkas and long robes. It was intriguing for an outsider like myself, but it also made me realize that we are not so different. We are also peculiar.
I loved this post. One day I want to write about all the books I read...I've really been able to catch up on my reading since graduation and it has been wonderful. Averaging about 3 books/week has made me a much happier and content girl! Books are my life.
Anne Forever,
Koseli
You're so good Carley Jane. I just watch TV or 'play' with Levi. Thanks for reminding me to read something I normally wouldn't get to. You're fabulous!
Ah, I loved those days of reading and nursing! I had a book in each nursing spot in the house. Now I find myself reading "If You Give a Pig a Pancake" while nursing--over and over and over and over...
Anyway! Thanks for the list! I've read some of them, but now I have some fresh ideas. I think Anne Frank and Lois Lowry's "Number the Stars" are the only other WWII books I've read, both excellent. Plus an LDS historical fiction series by Dean Hughes, don't remember the title, apparently wasn't life-changing :).
Post a Comment