Saturday, September 26, 2009

HOPE

This is Jeremy. I decided to high-jack Carly's blog. I recently have been learning a lot about hope. I am taking an institute class about the sermons on the Atonement found in the Book of Mormon. We just finished reading Jacob's sermon on the Atonement in 2 Nephi 6-10. Jacob quotes Isaiah to teach members of the House of Israel about hope. The people of Nephi were at a dark point. They had just separated from the Lamanites. I think I forget sometimes that at this point they were very small groups. They were still just a big family. The family was servered. Then one side of the family started physically attacking the other side. Then Jacob began to see many of his family start to waiver in their commitment to the Lord. He quotes to them from Isaiah teaching that those who "wait for the Lord shall not be ashamed." He teaches them that they are a covenant people and that even though they will break that covenant the Lord has not forgetten it nor them. He is full of mercy and will deliver the House of Israel and fulfill all the promises He had to them.

I have learned that as we increase our knowledge of Jesus Christ our hope will increase. When we feel despair it is because we are not remebering what Christ has done and who He is. My favorite verses from these chapters are several that state "Do not hang down your heads for we are not cast off forever." I have a testimony that Christ and His Atonement and our covenants are our source of hope, for we are of the House of Israel. There is a great new site on lds.org completely devoted to hope. I think everyone should go there and see it. This is the link.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I love that line, "For those who wait on the Lord shall not be ashamed" too. I think patience and hope are intricately connected. I've enjoyed our conversations about what you are learning in your institute class :)

Love you.