Friday, October 9, 2009

Why I'm glad we didn't wait

I am glad we didn't wait to start having kids. For those of you who haven't done the math, Raymond was born pretty darn close to nine months after we were married. It was a conscious decision we both made before we were married. This was one of those things we were on the same page with almost immediately. In fact, I would venture say it was a "selling point" while dating. We both wanted it. We both felt strongly about it. We were both ready. It has proven to be a wonderful blessing; here are some of the reasons why (not listed in order of importance):
  • Pregnancy created an immediate interdependence. I'm sort of independent gal--I like to do things my own way. I love being self reliant. But I quickly learned while pregnant that I needed help. I needed support. I needed a husband. This has only increased with the arrival of the wee one.
  • It put everything into perspective financially. From day one we were forgoing and saving on account of needing our resources for something other than ourselves. We quickly had to learn to live within our budget and get ourselves financially able to support another (entirely dependent) little person.
  • I am not as young as I used to be (an obvious statement). AKA I only have so many child bearing years in me. And we want a large family. I get giddy thinking about all the other little people who will come into our family, and I'm so grateful one is already here!
  • Raymond himself is such a blessing in our lives. His steady penetrating gaze. Those tender little snuggles. The beauty of his smile and joy of his laugh. Living with such a tiny human spirit gives so much more depth to life than I ever knew was possible.
  • The Plan of Salvation has become more tangible than ever before. I remember teaching the Plan of Salvation over and over again as a missionary. I remember feeling anxious then to begin my own family. And here it is. The Abrahamic promise that "your seed shall be as the sands of the sea" takes on new meaning when one small and precious piece of sand is placed in your hands.
  • Incredible financial blessings have come as we have followed the prophets' counsel to multiply and replenish the earth. The support of heaven has been miraculous to behold.
  • Adjusting to marriage has always simultaneously been an adjustment to a family for us. Going from two to three has not felt like the sacrifice it perhaps would have if we had had an extended amount of time with the freedom of, say, date nights without babysitters.
  • As in no other job, no other role, no other capacity, I feel like I am being stretched and molded, fine tuned and placed in the refiner's fire as I begin this adventure called motherhood. And yet it feel so natural, so comfortable, so calm--this life I lead. It is like a modern dance piece: organic and dynamic while using every muscle to its limit. Life has taken on a beautiful and new rhythm.
I know this is a somewhat controversial topic (ok, obnoxiously controversial topic), and I am by no means trying to pass any sort of judgment on you or your situation by this post. I also know there are sadly many people who don't want to wait to have children but are forced to--struggling with infertility. My heart breaks for them. But we all press forward, right? Doing the best we can and making righteous choices.

9 comments:

Jillyboo said...

I love this post. We too were married a few short months before we became pregnant with Luke. I have been so grateful for this timing for so many reasons. It has made us, and the life we lead today, what it was and is. Best thing we've ever done!!! I think so much of our closeness today is because of the things we went through in our busy yet beautiful beginnings.

Shannon said...

I am so happy for you and your sweet little family. I'm grateful that you have all the things you wanted. You deserve it! I'm sure you will continue to be blessed because you are such an amazing woman with such a strong testimony. Being a mother is difficult, yet brings so much joy. Your kids will all be lucky to have you!

Janssen said...

I'll have to write a similar post sometime about why I'm glad we have waited (it's been over four years since we got married now).

Interesting to see both sides and see the variety of circumstances there are.

Laura said...

It's Laura from Real Mom Kitchen. I am sorry about the change in my feed. I had to change it because there was a scraper that was using my feed to steal my entire posts and present them on their site as their own. This was my only way to stop them for now.

Jamie C. said...

Good for you Carly. Amen to everything you said. Joe and I waited 4 years before we had a baby. Then we had two that were less than two years apart (heaven forbid). And yes it was planned that way. We intend to have three more (it jumped from five to six after Henry was born...I couldn't bear to think that I would only have two more, it now seems three more is right for us) Anyway, my point is, everyone will have an opinion on you and your family and how and when you choose to make it grow. But it doesn't matter or need to be defended. You know what is right for you and your situation. Congrats on such a great beginning to your family.

Tasha said...

I love this post too because just like Jamie said, we all have ways in what is best for our family. What is important is that we do "what is best for our family", listen tothe spirit and not judge others along the way. I lov eyou Carly Jane. I am glad that you are happy and such a darn cute Mother at that!! I am glad Little Raymond is in your life too. Can't wait to see him in just a short few more weeks! Counting down!!!

Cansas said...

Good for you!! Jason and I were just talking about this today (not about you and Jeremy starting a family) but about our future child(ren). Who knows what Heavenly Father has in store for us, but we all do what we can with what we are given. In any case, whether we have a few children or many, each one is a blessing.

Jaime said...

As long as you are happy with your decision, more power to you! You have them as fast and as many as you want and the Lord allows. You are very blessed. The trial of infertility is widespread and tragically painful and I'm glad you were able to have your precious boy so quickly.

Mom C said...

This is a topic I have always loved. It makes me so happy to know that this type of decision is only meant for husband/wife/Lord. It doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks or does. There is just such joy in "doing what is right for us!" I feel beyond blessed everyday for each of my previous ones!

Debbie mom